Chapter 6: Pier 19

As we cross the border into the Water Realm, I calm down a lot faster. Being in my element makes me feel at home, and I am home. My uncle Lazarus told me he would wait for us at Pier 19, a popular pier for shipping and transportation.

As we wait we hear a ‘kee-kee-kee’ noise. River spots the source from a high branch in the trees, and shouts down to the rest of us “The dolphins are in!” Aiden, who’s never been to the Water Realm a day in his life, seems puzzled.

“The dolphins; what dolphins? I don’t see any dolph- never mind.” I can’t help but giggle after hearing this. After some time, Katie decides to help him understand what River means by ‘the dolphins’. “He means the Dyserian Dolphins, Aiden. They’re the Water Realm’s national animal. Big pods, or groups, of them, migrate to Pier 19 every year.”

A few minutes later, I hear a deep, booming voice thunder out “Violet! River! You have returned! What a momentous occasion!” I know who it is. “Uncle Lazarus!” I run up to him and give him a giant hug. The first thing I ask him is “Did you miss me?”

His reply makes me laugh. “Like a toothache, Violet.” Both of us burst out laughing. Everyone looked at us as if we were crazy. Uncle Lazarus feels he has to explain, so he says “It’s a running joke in the Water Realm; right, River?”

"Right, sir; the others wouldn’t understand, except for Violet, of course.”

The next thing we hear is “Ack; these animals are out to kill me!” I look over and Aiden is completely drenched from head to toe. A dolphin is swimming beside where he is standing on the dock, laughing its flippers off. Aiden glares at the chortling marine mammal and says “Ha! These stupid animals have nothing on me!”

Not too long after his display of masculinity, he trips on an upturned board on the dock, does a 360o flip, and face-plants onto the dock. River, Adam, and Ciro burst out laughing, but not before receiving warning glares from Aiden. His gaucherie only provokes more points and stares.

Adam, still chortling, manages to say “Oh, man, Aiden; that was the funniest thing I’ve seen since the pie toss at Earthfest!” Katie saunters over to her emotionally wrecked boyfriend and runs her fingers through his hair, the feeling of which is something only she can describe.

Uncle Lazarus pipes up “Violet, why don’t you and your friends go up to the house? I’m sure River can show the other boys around; give them a tour?”

River’s eyes tear away from Aiden. “Wha- Oh, yeah; sure, I’ll show them around...” I look over at Aiden and see Katie, Ayla, and Marie fussing over him. I hear Ayla whisper “Oh, you poor darling. Are you hurt?” Aiden shakes his head.

Marie starts to rub his shoulder blades and whispers “Don’t worry, Aiden; you’re well taken care of.” Katie nuzzles his charred face and mumbles in his ear, but I cannot make out what it is she is saying. Adam rolls his eyes. Aiden nuzzles Katie back and plants a kiss on her ruby-painted lips. I walk over and say to Aiden “Oh, you poor dear. You must be in pain; poor thing...”

Late that night, when all of us girls are safe in our beds, we hear a deafening scream emanating from the next room— the boys’ room. The next thing we hear is a male voice; I acknowledge the speaker as River. “That’s what you get for flirting with our women. Try it again and we’ll-”

Katie, Ayla, Marie, and I walk in the room before he finishes his sentence. “And you’ll what?” I ask. We analyze the room and find nothing wrong, except that Aiden is dripping wet again. Then we look closer, and see that his face is burnt severely from his jowls down, because his torso is soaked completely. 

I stare at River, who has a litre-jug— probably completely empty— in his hands. He throws it to Adam. “Hey Adam; catch!” Adam seizes the ancient carafe, and sets it down by his bedside. Katie stares at River and shrieks in his ear as tears stream down her now-crimson face, “How could you do this? What dishonourable thing has he ever done to you that would provoke you to commit such a sin?”

I look at Aiden- the sight of his charred features sends chills down my spine. Well, I have no reason to talk, so I say nothing. River finally notices my look of disapproval and hangs his head in dishonour.

Now I say something, but I cradle River’s head in my hands, to show him I care. “Just because Marie, Ayla and I happen to care about Aiden, it doesn’t mean that we love the rest of you boys any less. Now this” I make a motion towards Aiden, to emphasize my dissatisfaction of the current situation “is not acceptable. I’m hoping that you’re willing to make amends for what you’ve done.”

River nods. He manages to say “Yes, my beloved” before turning away. I pull him close and mutter in his ear. “I have a pretty ruthless boyfriend, don’t I?” He nods, and then sighs. I do as Katie does with Aiden and run my fingers through River’s hair. He sighs again, but this time it is a more relaxed sigh; one of comfort, I think. “River, are you alright? Please answer me.”

“Yeah, I’m fine; I’m just... just tired, I guess.”

“You’ve never been just tired before, River. Something else is wrong, and you’ve got to tell me what it is.” All I get after that is a blank stare. “Tell me in the morning, okay? You need your rest.” River nods once more. I look back to Aiden, whose visage is still marred by grey blotches. “Katie, if you need some wax, I can get a candle for you.”

“A candle... hmmm ... a candle... That’s a good idea, Violet. Your help is much appreciated.”