Chapter 5: The Scorching Falls

The next day...

Today is the day that we travel to our next destination, a place called the Scorching Falls, called so because the “falls” are composed of lava. It was my favourite place to go swimming before now. It is also the place where Aiden and I had our first date. As we approach the swelling mass of fire, Violet and River cringe. All of us understand why, but Ciro just has to open his big mouth and say something sarcastic. “Are you chicken, Riv?”

At this comment, the offended stops dead in his tracks, spins around in a 180, and barks at Ciro “You wanna repeat that, bro?” Violet looks at River with a stare that seems to say “Are you feeling alright?” River sees this stare and whispers to Violet “I am sorry, my beloved. He just made me so mad!” Violet looks at us and says “I know this may be a stupid question, but is there any water at all in the Fire Realm?”

Aiden answers. “Yes, there is, but we will have to travel quite a ways to get to it.” Moments after Aiden mentions the Place of Boiling Water, we are there. River and Violet are happy to be in their element once again.

Upon seeing the pools, River and Violet make a run for the nearest one and jump in. A relieved sigh escapes their lips in chorus. “I knew we could feel comfortable here somehow, Violet.” The next thing I know their hair turns blue (no word of a lie). It was the freakiest thing since finding out that King Egan and Queen Amethyst were my parents.

River notices Aiden and me staring, and asks us “What? Is there something wrong with us?” It’s only then that I notice his fishtail. The first thing that pops into my head and comes out of my mouth is “Uh...n-no...I’ve just never seen...” After somewhat finishing my sentence, I point to indicate his tail and hair. “We’ve never seen that on either of you before so we just couldn’t help staring. Sorry if it offended you.”

That same night, I had this weird thing happen to me. I was walking outside of the palace, and this scroll comes out of nowhere and falls directly into my hand. Now I think ‘Sweet, I’ve found the Pyrix; now what?’ That's just one additional weird event in my life; isn’t that great?