[Chptr. 20]

Previously: Naomi looked up at the cops, pointed her finger to Jim and said, "That's him, that's the man who attacked me..." I stiffened. What? Jim attacked Naomi? I looked down at Naomi, about to speak, but was stopped by someone yelling. "What?! No! This is my house! What's going on?!"...Rachel...

Chapter 20

>>Todd's POV<<

Rachel ducked under the arm of a police officer blocker the door and ran into the house, her eyes were a mixed of so many emotions, I couldn't even tell what they were, due to them moving frantically around the room. They landed on her brother and she ran to him. He was now standing while an officer was putting handcuffs around his wrist.

"Hey! What are you doing?! Why are you arresting my brother?!" she yelled to the cop, but he just ignored her and continued telling Jim his rights. When she realized she wasn't getting an answer, she looked to Jim again. "Jim, what's going on? Why are you being arrested?"

He didn't answer either, he just kept his head down and stared at his feet. After she asked again, the cop started moving Jim out of the house. Rachel went crazy and started yelling and pulling on Jim's arm. "No! You're not taking my brother to jail! Jim! Why are they doing this?!"

Another cop rushed into the house and pulled her away as Jim was sent to the nearest police car. The policeman that was holding her started speaking,"Ma'am, I need you to calm down and-"

"No! I will not calm down! You wanna know why? Because no one is telling me what the hell is going on!" she shouted, cutting him off completely. She tried to run outside, but he stopped her.

"If you stop yelling, I'll be able to," the officer assured her sternly. You could hear the tension in his voice as he tried to hold back his own anger.

Rachel raked her hands through her hair and nodded in defeat. The officer sighed in relief and let her go. "Okay, well, my name is Officer Shelton, I got a call from your neighbors saying they heard loud, troubling screams coming from your house," he began.

I was still holding on to Naomi as her sobs calmed down. Her breathing became normal and she opened her eyes to see Rachel, who still hasn't noticed us.

"What? What are you talking about? Screams? I-I...what?" Rachel asked; confused and in shock. Officer Shelton nodded his head.

"Yes, screams. Now, is Jim Porter your brother or...?" he asked.

Rachel nodded her head and said Jim's her brother. "Has your brother ever showed sexual affections to any of your friends? Or to this young lady right here?" he asked as he pointed to Naomi, who had left my embrace and stepped closer to her friend.

Rachel followed his finger and when she saw Naomi and I, she became even more confused. She looked at Naomi's face, which was bruised along her cheeks, and her bottom lip was bleeding.

"Flirts," Rachel started, turning back towards the officer. "The most he's ever done w-was flirt with them. Nothing, nothing serious, nothing," She turned to look at Naomi again. Something in Naomi's face made fear cover Rachel's. "No," she whispered as tears threatened to seep through her eye sockets.

Naomi nodded her head viciously as the tears formed her eyes again. I reached out and placed my right hand on her left shoulder; it was all I could do at the time. "No, please don't tell me," Rachel repeated again, this time begging it not to be true.

"It was him. Rachel, it was Jim who almost raped me," Naomi said through her tears, which were now flowing softly down her cheeks. I cringed. Rape? What the hell? And almost? What the hell?!

My fist started balling as I felt the urge to go to that police station and beat the sh*t out of Jim. But I couldn't. As much as I wanted to, I needed to be here with Naomi.

All of a sudden, Rachel ran to Naomi and wrapped her arms around her shoulders. "Oh my God Naomi! I'm so sorry! God, I'm so sorry! I had no idea! How could I have not known?!" she was bellowing as she buried her face into the dent between Naomi's should and neck.

"It's not your fault Rachel, it's not your fault," Naomi cried, her face buried into Rachel's dent.

Officer Shelton coughed a little, causing them to break their hug. "I just have a few quick questions and then we can head over to the station, okay?" he asked before looking at me.

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave, sir," he stated. I nodded my head. I walked up to Naomi and Rachel and put my right hand on Naomi's shoulder, and my left hand on Rachel's.

"I'll be outside," I assured them before headed out.

There were people everywhere, some looking out their doors or windows, others trying to get as close as they can to the scene. Nosey neighbors. I looked towards the driveway, and noticed a familiar car. Kevin?

What's he doing here? I walked towards his car, when he saw me, he got out, walked over to the passengers door, and leaned his back against it. When I was in hearing range I asked, "What are you doing here?" Not bothering to hide my disbelief.

"I gave Rachel a ride home. How's it going in there? I saw her brother in cuffs?" he asked me as I leaned on his car next to him. I exhaled. Should I tell him? I mean, he is friends with Naomi, and I guess Rachel now?

"Uh, you remember that thing that was bugging Naomi?" I asked him. He nodded in response. "Well, let's just say....it's worse than we thought," I answered, not trying to give anything away. Naomi will tell him when she's ready.

We stood there quiet for a while, but I couldn't take it anymore. "So....it was nice of you to give Rachel a ride home," I said, trying to start a conversation outside of the current situation. He shrugged his shoulder.

"Yeah, she's cool. I saw her waiting an offered a ride. She said her brother was late picking her up," he replied as my attempt to change the subject failed.

Another silence. Then, Naomi and Rachel came into view as they walked outside with Officer Shelton behind them. Kevin and I made our way to them. "What's going on?" We asked at the same time.

Rachel and Naomi were holding hands, attempting to comfort the other. "We uh, we're going to the police station. They have a few more questions for us," Naomi spoke softly; it seems as though Rachel wasn't even listening, she was staring at the ground with her head down.

Kevin reached out and grabbed Rachel's hand and squeezed it gently. Not in a sexual way, but in a comforting, friend, type of way. It made her look up in surprise, but she still fell silent.

"Okay ladies, the quicker we get there, the quicker this will all be over," Officer Shelton stated while he opened the door to his undercover police car. "Oh, and Miss Scott, I'm going to need see your gun license for that firearm," he added.

The gun...I almost forgot about that. When the police showed up, they took it into evidence. I'm going to have to remind myself to ask her about it later. Why'd she have one? When'd she get it?

Naomi nodded her head before running back inside the house, leaving me, Kevin, and Rachel alone. Kevin had stepped closer to Rachel, so that their arms were bending instead of the previous state; stretched out. For some odd reason, I felt like the third wheel.

But not for long, because Naomi came dashing back, with a piece of paper in one hand, and a white leather purse in the other.

I pulled her into a hug before telling her to call me afterwards. Kevin let go off Rachel's hand after telling her to call if she needed anything.

They both agreed before getting into the back sit of the car and being driven away. Kevin and I both sighed in unison.

"I could use a strong drink," I announced, although I don't drink. I've seen what getting drunk does to people, and it's nothing I want to experience.

I can have just as much fun sober. Kevin nodded in agreement while chuckling; he knows I don't drink.

"I could use some music," he replied.