Chapter 10

The Fighters separated, into a wide semi-circle, all the while running straight for me. One push was all I needed to jolt forward. I brought my hands before me and as I moved them from front to back, leaving a trail of fire behind me.

Right in front of me was a Firelin Fighter shooting fire darts, their targets being my arms and legs. Straining, I managed to summon a small burst of water, just enough to damper the darts.

Once I got face to face with the Fighter, I braced for his fire punch, knowing full well there were many more Fighters behind me waiting for their shot. His punch hit the center of my now crossed arms. Hearing the slight rush of wind on my right, I motioned my arms downward to push away another Fighter's kick. A force of air hit my unprotected left side, my balance no longer steady. Arms upon arms of Fighters took the chance to grab me, holding me up at least five feet above the floor.

All of my attempts to summon the elements were squashed as the extra Fighters extinguished my shots before they could ever leave my hands.

"Someone get the elemental rope. We need to tie her," said the Firelin Fighter. His scruffy head of hair and beard were as bright as his element. Him I knew not by name, but by power. He was one of the co-leaders of the Firelin Fighters. The town sure wasn't taking any chances.

Then a giant rush of air pummeled against the entire group. The unexpected attack made the Fighters loosen their grip, allowing me to struggle free and fall to the ground on my back. The sting of the fall brought my attention to the slight burn on my right arm from when I blocked the fire punch.

Rolling away from the nearest Fighter aiming to re-capture me, the sound of nearing footsteps came to my ears.

"You aren't taking her!" cried Jaden. The declaration gave me enough time to slip between the Fighters' legs to be free of their circled cage and prepare for another round.

Both Ariel and Jaden charged forward with hands full of elemental energy. I held my ground as the wind of their bodies and their release of power went by me. The Fighters had just enough time to summon a counterattack. As Jaden's tornado of power surged through, Ariel's water extinguished the fire of the Firelin Fighters.

The Fighters began to try break off once again, hoping to make the fights be three to one for each of us, but we kept together. If they wanted to fight us, that was fine. However, nothing will keep us from separating.

"Duck!" cried Jaden as one Fighter who got halfway across the floor shot out a massive ball of dirt.

"Ariel. Go get my swords. It will make this a more even fight." The ball flew over us, heading straight for the other Fighters with an extra boost of power with Jaden's gust of wind.

"You sure you guys can last?" Using my crouch for strength, I twisted my body and lunged upward. As I made my three hundred and sixty degree whirl, I gave the Fighters a dose of fire darts. Except for the Firelin Fighters who deflected the shots away, the other Fighters' advances ceased to exist.

One quick exchange of smiles with Jaden was enough for Ariel. "Alright, I get it 'Master Fighters,' just don't kill them."

A nod and wry smile from us both and she dashed back towards the training room. Wait, what happened to Leira and her guards? Why haven't they showed up? Does this mean Leira knew this was going to happen and she wasn't going to stop it? Why would she betray us now though?

"Kyra! A little back up!" cried Jaden. His arm pulled me forward towards Ariel.

Fighters nearest went straight for Ariel's heels as well. A few rounds of fire darts shredding the backs of their shirts was enough to make them remember their initial target. A gust of wind from behind blew my hair into my face, making panic surge through me during the few seconds of blindness. Amongst my frantic attempt to swipe away my hair, another gust of wind, stronger than the one before, pushed me down to my knees.