Chapter 7

The only sounds during the day’s ride were the hooves of our horses stomping on top of the branches and the shifting of the fallen leaves. We rode in Leira’s usual formation, a square with Leira in the middle. She shared a horse with Shinju, while Pane and I shared a horse, positioned at her right flank. Jaden and Ariel rode together once again, taking her left flank.

Ever since he left the training room, Jaden had given me a cold shoulder that sliced the air as harshly as his air strikes. At the stables, he would only speak to Ariel, the jerk acting as if she was the only one he knew out of this huge group.

It’s not like I made a huge betrayal.

Saying I haven’t been careful. How was I not being careful? Sure, the beatings from my sparring with the guards were pretty brutal, but still. It’s called sparring and training for a reason. The only thing dangerous was this ritual, but it hasn’t even happened yet. He should learn how to be an optimist, like Ariel, like me. Well, like me - most of the time.

“Hey Kyra,” said Pane, moving a fraction of an inch towards me. “You aren’t worried, are you?”

“Me? Worried? Are you trying to comfort me? Jaden’s the one whining and worrying. Not me.”

“No. I was just curious. Miss Leira has spoken of how… silent you tend to be over various matters.”

“How would she know?” I began to stare at Leira’s back, her strands of silver hair bobbing with the each gallop. “She barely speaks to me.”

Ariel’s voice rode along the wind current and into my ears, forcing my eyes towards her. Ariel and Jaden were murmuring things to each other. Must be quite the conversation for Ariel to be wide-eyed with concern and Jaden focusing solely on what was straight ahead. Definitely must be interesting.

“Miss Leira has great insight.”

“Yeah, yeah. You’ve said that plenty of times already. How long have you known Leira? You and the other guards seem pretty close to her.”

“Our families have had ties with her for years. Each of us began our duty as a guard at different times but we have all known each other for a while.”

“Ties?”

His slight fidget broke the horse’s rhythm. “Each family has had a different reason for standing on her side. I’m the only one from Andova. Mintos and Shinju are from Straeus while Garner is from Olan.”

“What’s your reason for staying?”

“… She’s just done a lot for my family.”

“Looks like I’m not the only one who keeps quiet about certain matters,” I replied, nudging his shoulder.

The horse relaxed along with Pane. “I guess you’re right about that.” His chuckles rang in my ears. “Keep it a secret?”

“Sure.” I smiled as I looked to my left.

Then my eyes met with Jaden’s and the cheery feeling inside of me melted away into a puddle of… of… of something. Whatever it was, I’d say the feeling would be as grey as the clouds that loomed above us. His right eyebrow arched just before turning away.

I glimpsed Ariel mouth a ‘sorry’ my way as I turned to look at the right side of the forest instead. He better give up on being mad at me soon. This atmosphere isn’t boding well with my stomach. Any longer and the pangs will reach my head and give me a headache. Maybe focusing on the forest again would help.

But there wasn’t much to see. A few bird nests were nestled into the midpoint of the branches. One had a bird nudging the fidgeting bird. They must be a mother and father waiting for their eggs to hatch. A new feeling formed which almost went un-noticed amongst all the different feelings I’d been keeping in. This one was envy for those birds looked to be one happy family.