Chapter 3

I buckled to the ground, my heart following suit. Only the concerned gaze of my dearest friend kept the world from becoming a blur. The world was veiled by an ability that did not require a blessing from Mother Nature, a different kind of ability to create water.

"Kyra, I know this stinks, but we can’t stay here for long. We might get found."

"I know Ariel.... I know...." Despite the tears that threatened my vision, my voice refused to give in to despair. No matter what I wanted to do, as a Fighter, I couldn't afford to shatter completely. That's not right. I'm not a Fighter. I cannot call myself a part of the town anymore. I'm just another bender of the elements. So much for the boots. "I can’t imagine what mother will be like when she finds out what has happened..."

The warm friction of Ariel's hand rubbing against my arm faltered in rhythm.

"She probably would have told you herself if I didn’t tell her to stay home. For someone running away, you choose the most obvious place to hide? Can’t really call this hiding though." What? I know that voice.

Attempting to wipe away the endless tears from my eyes, I whipped around to find Jaden smiling. "What are you doing here?"

"Seeing as I was on my way to the Hall, since we were supposed to meet there, I found out what happened and then went after you. So rude of you two to change the plans without telling me."

"Ugh. Jaden, do not joke around. Try to again and I'll do more than test out the new strength Mother Nature gave me."

"Kyra..."

"It's alright Ariel. Kyra, your mom said to just make sure to stay safe. She even gave me the leftover desserts to pass to you in case I found you." His smile faded slightly as he offered the food as a truce.

Using Ariel to aid me back onto my trembling feet, I took the two steps necessary to face him. Testing my strength, I curled his fingers back over the precious food made by my mother's own hands. He must have been running hard to have such a clammy hand and yet, he didn't even seem out of breath. Well, he always did have a determination I admired. "Keep it in your bag. I have nothing to carry it with and there's no time to eat."

“Alright then. We really should get going. When I saw some of the Fighters who are out here searching, they weren’t far off so-”

“There she is!” That voice and the rustle of leaves from our right were enough for us. Seeing the face who shouted our location would just waste time. Jaden slipped the food into his bag.

And then we ran.

We ran side by side with gusts of concentrated wind and sporadic attacks of water darts coming from our pursuers hit the trees we swerved through. One gust hit Ariel in the small of her back. The hit pushed her forward, her balance on the verge of becoming nonexistent. I grabbed her arm pulling her forward, forcing her through the stumble to keep going. ‘Keep going.’ Where were we going?

The answer hit me as a water dart flew past my ear, making a strand of my hair wrap around my face, covering my mouth. Swiping my long strand away, I motioned my friends to take my flanks. “I have an idea.”

“It better be a good one,” replied Jaden as they both still obeyed me.

“It will be.”

I stopped in my tracks and spun around. Jaden and Ariel passed me by as I mustered up all my energy to focus one huge release.

“Kyra!” cried Ariel, the shock in her voice registered for the minute lot of time before I let my energy go.

The group of five Fighters was just about in optimal striking distance when I let out the fire which rejoiced in freedom. The fire roared upward, stretching in height, length, and width. As the wall of fire destroyed the sight of the Fighters, I turned back around to two very unsure faces.