Chapter 1

When will these boys ever learn? They can't win against me.

I dodged his kick with both my forearms, pushing his leg back where it came from. Using the momentum, I whirled around to make a kick of my own with my left foot. He ducked to the floor, sweeping his right leg, thinking it would trip me. Like any one of them could ever trip me. I bent as low as I could to jump up using only my right foot. While in the air, I summoned a whirl of fire from the nearest lantern into my hands and threw it towards my target.

He rolled off to the side, but he was just too slow. While he was busy bending the air to steer clear away from the fire, I had landed already and was running right to him. He was just about to stand back up to defend himself when I pulled out the knife from the sheath attached to a strap on my thigh. I knew what was coming next. I twirled to my right as he attempted to throw a punch of defense powered with a force of air. My knife was inches away from the back of his neck. Game over for him.

"Go Kyra!"

After moving my hand away and putting the knife back into its place, I made a bow of victory. "Nice try Row. You're just too slow." As I turned and wiped the sweat from my forehead, from the corner of my eye, I could see him wave his hand in acknowledgment as he walked away.

"Hey Ariel, how much time do we have left?"

"Just enough to panic."

"Jaden. Leave her alone. She's stressed enough as it is." She elbowed him with one hand and threw of spray of water from her water bottle into his face with the other. Just like the guard dogs surrounding the Hall, he shook the water away from his hair. He's lucky his hair looks fine unkempt. Poor Row, having to brush his hair out like the rest of us girls. Then again, long hair suited Row, as well as the rest of the males in his family. I can't begin to imagine what Jaden would look like.

"Ariel. How much time?" I pressed again. Jaden's taunts could wait.

Her lips pressed together. "Well... you'll be lucky to get there on time."

"See? Told you."

"Shut it Jaden. Ariel, are you sure?" Her nod was all I needed.

I gunned it for home. I couldn't be late. Not today. Not when it's my chance to unlock the full potential of my fire bending powers. Thank Nature that everyone is probably getting ready for the big gathering later today or who knows how long it would have taken to weave through the countless people usually here at the practice mounds. Once I made it to the town's bustling of people, I stayed to the walls, hoping it would help me save some time. An hour would have been wonderful. It would have been enough time to prepare. Guess it's what I get for always being devoted to the craft. That and showing the boys how their efforts to beat me are worthless is just too alluring.

"Hey Kyra! Have fun today!" I turned to find my neighbor at a fruit stand waving at me. I returned the gesture as I ran and then increased my speed. A person in a black robe was moving along the wall towards me and with my increased speed, I couldn't stop before it was too late.

I side-swiped the hooded figure, both of us losing balance once our shoulders pushed us away from one another.

"Hey! Watch it!" The voice faded with each step. Looking back wasn't an option. I still needed to get dressed. Not to mention I needed to run to the Hall. And mother was bound to have made me some food. And I was really looking forward to her celebration cooking.

The door was just inches away before I slowed my pace. Please be unlocked. Please be unlocked. With ease, the door flew open with my touch. With that, I used all my strength to propel myself up the stairs three steps at a time. I took a sharp turn to the right, barely keeping my balance, and pushed open the door to my room.