Last To Know

She just walked away.

Why didn't she tell me?

And where do I go tonight?

This isn't happening to me!

This can't be happening to me!

...

She didn't say a word.

Just walked away.

"Alexander, this has to end. I can't do this anymore."

Those were the words that broke his world apart. The words that completely and utterly destroyed any remains of the heart that he had managed to scrummage from the damage his life had left it in. Those words had taken those shards that he had painstakingly put back together and smashed through them, leaving them in dust. Unsalvageable.

When he had first heard them he hadn't been able to do a thing. He had just stared blankly at the person in front of him, ears buzzing and mind completely blank. His blue eyes had fixed themselves on that tanned face, looking numbly into expressionless green/gold eyes.

"What?" It had come out as a whisper, barely even there, but Magnus had heard it none-the-less. The warlock had let out a long sigh, eyes sliding shut only to open again with the shake of his head.

"I can't be with you anymore, Alec."

An uncomfortable pressure started in his chest, as if someone was slowly tightening their fist around his heart, tightening around the organ that began to speed its rhythm.

"Why?"

Alec could have sworn he saw a flash of agony in Magnus' eyes before it was gone, replaced by a look that almost seemed like pity.

"I don't want to be with you anymore Alexander. I was stupid to let it get this far."

Alec sucked in a sharp breath, a sharp pain twinging in his chest as his brain slowly started to come back to life. He wished it would have just stayed asleep.

"Magnus... I don't-" He took a steadying breath, pushing back the tears that threatened to rise. "I don't understand."

"I think you do, Alec. I think you understand perfectly." Magnus turned to go, walking towards the door, pausing with his hand on the handle. Alec could've sworn his hand shaked. "I don't want to see you anymore. We... We're through."

Alec blinked, shaking his head because this person was not Magnus, this person who was breaking him, destroying him, this couldn't be Magnus. Not kind, beautiful, funny, sweat, caring Magnus, who had held him while he cried over Max, stayed by him when he was bed ridden from injuries, kissed his forehead and stroked his hair as he fell asleep, whispering 'I love you' in his ear. This was not Magnus who he had given his heart to -or what was left of it anyways- his soul to. No. This was not him. It couldn't be.

He sucked in a sharp breath. "I-, Magnus, I- What did I do?" Because he had to have done something. It had to have been something horrible for Magnus to react like this. And now, because he hadn't know, because he hadn't thought about it Magnus was angry, he was breaking up with him-

"You did nothing Alec. And that's the problem." The warlock who Alec had though had loved him, who he had loved in return, who he had been prepared to give his life up for to be with, opened the door, moving into the hallway without a glance back, the door shutting behind him and leaving Alec in an empty room with a broken heart.

Alec was sure, that had anyone been there, they would have heard the loud roar that overtook his ears and made him fall to his knees in agony. He was sure that they would have heard the tinkling of glass falling to the floor and he was sure that they would have seen the fragile glass of his heart shattered around him, ground down beyond identification.