Chapter 21.

As I looked through the crowd at the ‘Masked Stranger’, I could only think of one thing right then, and that was getting Keeley as far away from here as possible. Her arms were wrapped around me from behind and her head buried into my back. I could feel her shaking a bit, not from fear of who was in front of us, but fear from not having a single clue as to what was going on. She was already shaken up when she saw that I had been cut, I didn’t need her here for this, too.

“Alex... Get her away from here, now.” I told him firmly. He didn’t ask any questions or hesitate before grabbing Keeley around her waist and picking her up. Keeley’s head shot up in surprise and her arm’s left my waist as she was momentarily caught off guard. 

“What, no... Garret! Alex, put me down.” Keeley started to squirm to try and get out of Alex’s hold, here eyes holding worry. They also held determination, showing that she didn’t care what was going on, she wanted to stay right here with me.

“You better not get your butt kicked...” Alex said sternly, though as I looked at him, I could tell he was worried, too.

“Garret! Alex, Put me-” Keeley shouted and wiggled before Alex held her to his chest and muffled her mouth with the other hand, soft enough to keep her from speaking, but not to hurt her.

“She’ll be fine... Go, do what you need to...” He said as he start to back away with Keeley.

I looked at him thankfully, glad that he understood my unspoken words. I gave one last look at Keeley, trying to tell her I was sorry, but that she needed to be away from this for me to not worry about her. Keeley’s eyes started to tear up as Alex walked away with her, but I couldn’t do anything about it. I wanted her away from this maniac, I wanted her to be safe and out of harms way. I knew Alex could hold his own, but this was my battle, and I wanted him away from this mess as well. 

I sighed and blew out every thought that was trying to enter my head at the moment and focused in on the hooded, gold masked man, as he approach me. 

As he approached slowly, I could feel a sting in my side. Now that my mind wasn’t focused on Keeley or Alex, I was starting to feel the pain caused by the knife wound on my side. My stomach clenched when I saw that he was carrying a knife on him, though I was more worried about the already sliced flesh than getting cut again. I out my hand over the cut, putting a little pressure on it, but I kept my gaze on M.S till he was standing before me.

 “I warned you I was coming...” The guy hiding behind the gold mask taunted me. “ Are you prepared to lose everything? Because I’m about to take it all away...” He said as he twirled the knife in his hands skillfully, and threateningly. My eyes shot up to his covered face again and I glared at him.

“Do your worse to me, you think I care?” I asked smartly with a little scoff in my voice.

“Oh, I know you don’t care what happens to you... That’s what I was testing in the alley.” He said as he started to walk around me like a predator stalking his prey, but I stood tall and kept my objective glare. “I warned you not to get close to anyone... That It would only lead you to destruction... But you didn’t listen, and now I’m going to take it all away.” He drew out in a light, sadistic tone. 

I watched him carefully, processing his words, and somehow recognizing his voice. It was like it flipped a switch in me and I instantly went on guard, my eye’s darting around carefully before flickering back to him. I changed my stance so I could be ready to defend myself, but I also left partially open as one question circled through my mind, nagging at me.