Chapter 2.

"They're here! Nate, Garret!" Samantha called up the stairs. I looked in the mirror and adjusted my shirts collar as I tried to make sure I was presentable. For the first time I actually wanted approval from a family, and it made me nervous.

"Coming!" Nate called as he walked down the hall, then he stopped in my doorway. “You ready, man?”

"Yeah... I think so,” I said nervously.

"You have nothing to be nervousness about, now come on." He grabbed me by the shoulder and started to push me out of the room.

"Boys?" Samantha called us again.

"We're right here mom,” Nate said as we came off the last step.

"Oh good! Now come stand over here." She ushered us over to the front hallway. A knock was heard at the door, but before Samantha could get it, the person on the other side burst through the door like an enthusiastic child on coffee.

"Here's Sammy!" The man said as he came through the door introducing himself, he’s basically a male version of Samantha, just taller.

I already knew that this was the uncle Sam, Nate was talking about. Then a girl, a few years younger than my age with brown, wavy hair came in behind him, who I immediately knew as Lacy. She’s like a smaller version of Uncle Sam, expect she has blue grey eyes while he has green.

"Look who it is! My little Nate, all grown up and tall!" he gushed and pulled Nate Into a crushing hug.

"Hey Uncle Sammy,” Nate laughed.

"How long has it been? Two years?" He asked as he pulled away.

"It's been three months.” Nate rolled his eyes at him.

"Really? That short?" His eyebrows rose and furrowed at the same time. "We should really spend more time away then, I don't need to see you that often." He huffed, causing Nate to laugh.

"Nathan!" I heard a girly voice squeal.

"Lacy! How's my favorite cousin?" He picked up the little brunette and spun her around. I watched everything unfold in front of me with amusement, though I was glad to still be in the background while everything was going on, still nervous about what they would think of me.

"I'm good! Did you know that Mittens had kittens? Hehe, hey that rhymed!” the little girl chuckled.

"Yes, it did." Nate laughed lightly. “And she did? That’s so cool! Now you have more little kitty's to play with." He said and patted the top of her hair while she just chuckled.

"Sammy! Good to see you,” Rob greeted Uncle Sam, they did this weird hand shake thing and then bumped shoulders, almost causing one another to fall to the floor, though they were laughing. 

"Good ol' Robbert, I'm surprised you still remember." Uncle Sam shook his head playfully.

“You calling me old?” Rob squinted his eyes at him playfully.

"Never! That would mean I was old, and we both know that i'm as young and healthy as a race horse." He chuckled. As they both started joking around, I stood there silently, still hoping to not be noticed quite yet. I was already nervous about meeting the family, but now that they were here, it was even worse. I rubbed my sweaty palms on my pants and tried to take a few calming breaths, I didn't want to freak out and make a bad impression. Though just as I was starting to feel normal again, I heard Lacy speak, causing my nerves to kick into full gear.

"So is it true that you got a new brother?" She asked Nate.

"Yeah! Very true.” Nate squatted down to her level, like he was going to tell her a secrete. “In fact, he’s here right now,”