Go! Part 28

*****

Chapter 28

"Wait."  Raydon gripped Sansia's arm protectively.  "I think I hear something."

"What?"  Sansia whispered.

She had felt quite brave on the ground floor, as they had ascended her bravery seemed to have descended.

"Footsteps," Raydon responded.  "But soft,  maybe towards the other end of the corridor."

"Should we investigate the floor?"  Sansia asked nervously.

"Going onto another wolves territory could be as good as declaring war," Raydon muttered.

"Do you need me to hold your hand?"  Belle Senior asked sarcastically.  "They didn't have a problem coming onto our property."

"Maybe we can talk to them?"  Sansia suggested.  Belle Senior looked appalled.

"Hello," Raydon called out pushing open the door tentatively.

"Great," Belle Senior grumbled.  "Now they know we're here."

Raydon ignored him stepping cautiously out of the stairway and into the corridor.  The area was pitch black but he could see two wolves at the far end of the corridor staring at him.

"I'm Raydon."  Raydon paused.  He couldn't help hoping these would be the warm, fuzzy types.  "We don't want to hurt you, we just want to talk."

Would he understand them?  He was starting to place a lot of reliance on his wolf.

One of the wolves growled softly and three additional wolves gathered behind him.

The largest wolf in the pack walked to the front of the group and continued moving forward, the other wolves followed.

"We have the numbers advantage," Sansia pointed out.  "Maybe we need to let them see that."

Raydon stepped further into the corridor and away from the door with Sansia at his side, Sarah and Ren followed immediately behind them while Belle Senior and the four wolves brought up the rear.

"We don't want to fight," Raydon said.  "We just need answers."

The wolf was not forthcoming with responses; even though he tried diligently the creature's brain was revealing a blank.

The wolf kept moving forward.  Its' growl was deeper.  It was preparing to attack.

Raydon growled; he could sense his wolf coming to the forefront.  His nails extended the same glittering silver colour they had turned earlier.

For a brief moment the wolf at the front of the pack halted as if rethinking the attack.  Then appearing to toss aside its doubts it continued to walk forward slowly.

Raydon growled louder but the responding growl didn't come from in front of him, it came from behind him.

Sansia turned about, clearly as surprised at the aggressiveness and direction of the growl.  The growl had come from Belle Senior.

"What...?"  Sansia started to say but Belle Senior cut her off.

"Step out of the way my dear," he said his eyes glowing a strange gold colour.  "I'm about to get rid of the only thing that stands between you and I."

"You and I...?"  Sansia muttered dumbly.

"I think the numbers might have just changed against us," Raydon said trying to push Sansia towards the door but Belle Senior had orchestrated the whole thing perfectly.  Because he and his wolves had been trailing at the back of the group all along they were all blocking the stairway now.

Raydon grinned.

"You lured me up here to kill me," Raydon said.  Any additional moment he could squeeze out of this situation could be the difference between life and death.

"I used to be jealous of you," Belle Senior admitted smiling smugly.  The large wolf had stopped advancing and appeared to be awaiting new directives.  "I could feel myself getting older and weaker with each passing day.  I knew the time was coming for me to act brave and make way for the young."  His smile broadened. "Now I feel more virile than I've felt in the last thirty five years."

"You still look like a middle aged man," Raydon pointed out.

"But looks can be so deceiving, as you well know," Belle Senior shot back.

"So you want control of your building?"  Raydon asked reaching out to grip Sansia's wrist and pull her towards him, she didn't resist.

"You know I want more than that," Belle Senior growled.  "I want my mate."

"Mate?"  It was Raydon's turn to act dumb but his grip on Sansia's wrist tightened.

"The building is mine and everything in it," Belle Senior pointed out.

"I'm going to have to disagree with you," Raydon said and noticed from the corner of his eye that the large wolf had started advancing again.

Raydon could almost sense Sansia's thoughts, she was telling him something, telepathically.  How they were doing it he didn't really know, but right now he didn't really care either.

"Forward!  Go!"
Was all Sansia was mentally screaming.  Their wolves didn't hesitate, and strangely enough, Raydon realize, he didn't hesitate to follow her instruction either.  They all raced forward on cue like a broom with one sudden sweep. 

What Sansia had called for was them to pit all their strength against the advancing forces.  The attack against the big wolf would be dangerous, foolhardy even, but somehow Raydon knew it was the best option.  A fight against Belle Senior was probably not going to be a fight he would be walking away from.  But how could they keep Belle Senior out of the battle?

*****