Attacked Part 3

Thanks for reading.  Please leave a comment, follow and vote.  It's very encouraging and I really appreciate it.  Thanks again.

*****

Chapter 3

“Anara!”  Sansia screamed into the dead phone.  She could feel her heart racing and try as she might she couldn’t stop a feeling of panic from rushing over her.  Anara was all she had in the whole world; she couldn’t bare it if something bad happened to her.  It was strange because Sansia had known her only since she had come to work with Gofrey Chemicals Inc but Anara had proven to be the first and only person that had gone out of her way to befriend her; never seeming to require anything in return.

Sansia slammed down the telephone and picked it up again and dialed 911 hurriedly.

“Hello…”

“Thank you for calling emergency services, all circuits are busy now but if you stay on the line your call will be answered in the exact order in which it was received,” a droning voice informed her.

“No…No…I need someone, I need help for my friend.”  Sansia was aware that she was screaming at a recording but she was desperate, she had to find out what had happened to Anara.  Anara had sounded so terrified.

Sansia could feel tears starting to build up but she struggled to keep them at bay.  This was no time to give into fear and feelings of being overwhelmed.

It felt as if she was holding the line for an eternity and then the door pushed open and Raydon Payne strolled in.  Something seemed a little different about him; perhaps it was the slightly worried look on his face.

“Something’s happened to Anara,” Sansia said immediately.  She had no idea why she was opting to share this information with a man that she positively couldn’t stomach but she was desperate.

“Your friend?”  Raydon asked.

Sansia nodded not trusting herself to speak.

“Who are you talking to on the phone?”

Sansia shook her head.  She was talking to no one because she could still hear the recording playing over and over again in her ears.

Raydon closed the distance between them so quickly and quietly it surprised Sansia.  He took the phone from her hand and placed it back on the cradle.

“Where is Anara?”  He asked.

“I don’t know.”  Sansia admitted one solitary tear managing to force its way out and trickle down her cheek.  She dared not wipe at it for fear the action would cause others to follow.

“How do you know something has happened to her?” Raydon asked gently.

“I was talking to her on the phone and she was telling me about the moon and then suddenly she started to scream…and then…and then her phone went dead.”

“Maybe she’s playing a prank on you; people do things like that when strange things are happening.  They think it is fun.”

Sansia considered the explanation for a moment, Anara did like playing tricks but she knew how sensitive Sansia was about death, she wouldn’t pull a prank like that on her, would she?

“She wouldn’t do something like that,” Sansia said firmly.  “Maybe I should go look for her.”

“You said yourself you don’t know where she is.  Besides, they’re saying to stay inside.  They’ve been some minor disturbances around town.”

“What kind of disturbances?  Is it with animals?  Anara did say that the scientists were saying the dust that covered the meteor could affect animals.  Maybe it has made them act wild?  Maybe one of them attacked Anara?”