Alpha vs Alpha Part 22

Chapter 22

Raydon took off running. Why hadn't they opened the door when he screamed and knocked? It was probably that idiot William. Had they heard what he had screamed through the door afterward? Was Robert in there fighting to get the door opened for him? What if they opened the door after he had left?

Raydon stopped and turned around; he had to see what was going on. The half-wolf wasn't following him, it was tearing away at the door determined to get in. There was no way that door could stand up against that kind of assault. Raydon had to find a way to distract that monster, at least give Sansia and the others a fighting chance to escape.

He had the answer, he would attack the wolf at the back of the creatures pack, it was likely to be the weakest in the group and the straggler, still no alpha would take kindly to someone taking down one of its pack members in front of its face. Raydon went for it.

It was strange, he found himself thinking, he was on little more than a suicide mission and yet all he could think about was if his efforts would be enough to help Sansia to escape. He had been such an idiot. Why hadn't he told her months ago that he had liked her? Why had he pretended to be so aloft, acting as if he forgot her name every time he went into her lab when in fact the only reason he was in the lab was to see her. He knew why of course, he knew that sensible girls like Sansia were never attracted to bad boys like him. He would have had a better chance with her friend Anara – but he was never attracted to Anara.

On that thought Raydon launched himself into the air and landed on the wolf at the back of the pack. It struggled but it was too weak to defend itself. Raydon almost felt sorry for it, but sometimes you are known by the company you keep. This wolf was his enemy as sure as its alpha was. Raydon's nails extended and he sank them deep into the wolf's neck, its death was swift and he hoped painless. Raydon dragged himself off of its dead body and stared across at the door, the alpha had turned about and was glaring at him with eyes that displayed emotions of shock and a little bit of admiration.

The alpha growled and the pack stopped racing towards it and turned about to face Raydon.

Raydon grinned, the kind of grin he usually reserved for market competitors when he had delivered a presentation that left them dead in the water. He knew that grin irked them, in fact it did more than irk them, it made them downright furious with him. It was a smug, confident, victorious grin that didn't even reach his eyes. His new competitor was no more immune to the grin than the old competitors had been. The alpha's eyes burned redder.

"Didn't see that coming did you?" Raydon asked still smirking. "So where were we again?"

The alpha practically flew away from the door and raced towards Raydon.

"Right, that's where we were, I was running from you."

Raydon turned on his heels and fled. He could hear the growls and howls as the entire pack raced after him. His grin was starting to fade. He couldn't let any of them catch him or he was going to be dog-meat.

He still had the keys and now he was in the right direction to get to the van. For a brief moment he wondered if it would be worth it. The van would be faster, and it would offer some external protection from the wolves but he had to unlock the door and start the engine, could he afford to even stop for the few minutes that it would take to do that? He could try to leap over the wall and that would put him closer to the front of the building but the wall was almost nine feet high and even if his wolf could make a jump like that it would also put him closer to Sansia and the others and if the other wolf and its pack followed him; he would be putting all of them in danger.