Who's the Boss? Part 14

*****

Chapter 14

"You look better," Sansia said noting mentally that Raydon was less than half a pace ahead of her and that was clearly because he was making every effort to shorten his stride.

"I'm a werewolf now, I heal quickly." He grinned and it looked only a little more genuine than before.

"Don't say that, we can beat this thing," Sansia said.

"Maybe but one of the first things I taught myself in sales and marketing is that you have to accept who you are. People don't buy things they buy an image."

"So is that what you are? An image?" Sansia asked.

Raydon leaned against the lab door blocking Sansia's entrance.

"I think I make a very attractive image wouldn't you say?"

"For a werewolf," Sansia said.

He cringed just slightly, turned and opened the door and Sansia walked in.

She smiled, she could get to like this werewolf thing; it seemed to be at least one area that inspite of his bravado Raydon Payne was still not quite comfortable with.

"It's about time you two got back," Mr. Belle Senior said and then, "we were starting to get concerned."

"We're fine," Sansia answered. "Both of us."

"Great, we've been making some plans. Tomorrow I'll take some of the group to explore the rooms and the floors to see who else is in this building. I think if we stick together and ensure everyone is kept informed perhaps we won't see the carnage that seems to follow a change," Mr. Belle Senior said.

Raydon started to step forward and Sansia could sense the tension in his body. She placed a controlling palm on the centre of his stomach and he halted. How had she never known that Raydon Payne's stomach was sculpted from rock? She could feel the clear lines of muscles that declared a six pack was not far below the surface of his shirt. Sansia snatched her hand away conscious that to an onlooker it might appear that her hand had lingered.

"That sounds like a great plan Mr. Belle Senior, while you do that some of us can do a supplies run. I think we need to be armed and ready in case a not too friendly wolf attacks," she explained.

Mr. Belle Senior looked a little disgruntled.

"Please call me Anthony; it is pointless engaging in such formality in these circumstances."

"Of course Mr. Belle Sen...I mean Anthony."

He smiled one that easily reached his eyes.

"I must say I'm quite impressed with the cadre of staff we have here at headquarters. I'm only sorry I never took the time to get to know everyone better before," Anthony said.

"We understood you wouldn't have time for something like that Sir...I mean Anthony, but we always appreciated you," Sansia said.

Anthony reached out pulling Sansia forward slightly took her hand in his and patted it gently.

"You're too kind," he said.

Raydon reached forward and gripped Sansia's arm and pulled her back beside him, just far enough that it would make the hand holding exercise unnatural; both of their hands fell back to their sides.

"So we're going out on a supply run," Raydon said.

Anthony focused his attention on Raydon.

"Don't you think that's a little dangerous? I think we need to solidify our internal position first," Anthony said.

"And if we meet up against opposition?" Raydon asked.

"I can handle it," Anthony said.

"Then you do your internal thing and we'll go on the supply run," Raydon concluded.

"I need back up," Anthony said.

"You're an old man, you can't even run if you needed to," Raydon pointed out.

He wasn't that old and feeble as Raydon was making out, he was in his sixties but seemed strong and virile with snow white hair.

"I could outrun you," Anthony said with a grin.

Raydon laughed.

"It's a democracy right? Let's just vote for who wants to go where. We need people to volunteer to explore the building, people to go on the supply run and at least two persons to stay on the first floor in the safety zone and man the door," Raydon said.

"I'll man the door," Belle Junior said immediately.

"Not you Junior, I want someone that I can trust will open that door if we need to come in hot."

"Junior can come with me," Anthony said. "I know how to handle him."

"I want to go with you, Mr. Payne," Teresa Taitt said. "I prefer to have you around."

"It might be a little dangerous out there Teresa, but I'd love you to keep watch on the door. I know you won't leave us locked outside," Raydon answered. "And you can call me Raydon."

"I can go out there with you, Mr. Payne," Robert offered. "I've trained to fight and I know a lot of the businesses in the area so I should be able to direct us to where we need to go."

"Great, you're with us," Raydon responded. "What about you AnneMarie?" Raydon asked.

The receptionist slipped out of her high heeled shoes immediately.

"I'm coming with you. I've got a pair of sneakers under my desk. I'm desperate to find out what's really going on out there."

"I guess I can go with you too," Dave Gill put in a little hesitantly. "I might be of some use and I can definitely run fast if that's at all a requirement."

"It's a definite plus," Raydon said. "You're on the list as well."

"I'll help man the door," George Griffith said.

Raydon looked dubious.

"Fine," Anthony put in. "Junior and I will do the search and George can be our man at the door. We need to erect a barricade to the next floor as well that will stop anyone or anything from coming down here. A barricade that opens from our side. He can watch that barricade in case we come in hot."

Raydon still looked hesitant.

"I'll leave Sarah the she-wolf here as well to look after Teresa," Raydon said. "Just in case."

Teresa looked doubtful.

"She won't let anyone hurt you," Raydon promised a gentle look flashing across his face. "Where-ever you go take her with you."

Raydon bent down and rubbed Sarah's back.

"You think you can do that for me Sarah? Look after Teresa?" He asked.

The wolf growled softly.

"Great. Tomorrow we can go."

d\":"R