Chapter Thirty-Nine

The tense atmosphere hung over the room, heavy and oppressive, smothering the inhabitants. Josh warred between all out rage and utter desolation. Nikki was a fighter and she was far more adept at dealing with her current situation than Josh gave her credit for, but he also knew the lengths to which the Prophets would go to in order to punish her. Despite all her strength, there was no way she could endure it. No one could. Crossed legged on the freezing cold, unforgiving floor, opposite Scarlett and Juliet, Josh attempted to think things through. Joanne and Nikki were in Latébris, together. He knew that Joanne had been brainwashed, but as for Nikki, there was no knowing what damage they could have done or what state she was in. His jaw muscles flexed with tension. The need to get to Nikki outweighed everything but he knew if he could somehow get to Latébris, he'd be less than useless. What chance would he stand, one Guardian against a whole world of demons?

Grinding his teeth he suppressed a growl. It was impossible and yet he couldn't let go of the idea manifesting. Eyeing Scarlett, he wondered how she'd transported Nikki to another world. What had happened just before they'd disappeared and more importantly, could he recreate it? If he could somehow use Scarlett to take him to Nikki, as far as he understood, he only had to ensure the three of them were touching for Juliet to bring them all back. In a brief moment of madness he pondered the possibility of reaching Joanne too. A few feet away, Juliet was gently questioning Scarlett, relaying her answers to the rest of the group who were entirely unable to see or hear the child. They'd learned that Joanne was safe but she now served the Prophets, in what capacity, Josh could only guess. They'd discovered that the Prophets meant to torture Nikki and that they had wanted to keep Scarlett, but for what reason, Josh couldn't fathom. What did the ghost child have to offer them? A gift she wasn't even aware of? Answers about Guardians? What possible reason did they have for wanting her? His gaze landed on the old crone cradling the petite child and instinctively his anger flared. 

 "What aren't you telling us?"

Juliet calmly met his seething glare, her features devoid of emotion. "Many things, Joshua, and I intend for it to stay that way."

He trembled with the effort of containing his fury. "Did you know this would happen?"

A dry laugh escaped her wrinkled mouth. "How in gods name could I have anticipated this? I'm not a Vaguar, I can't see into the future."

"I think you're lying." Josh swallowed down his overbearing wrath, squashing it before it took control of him and he did something he would regret. "I think there's plenty you can tell us but you won't because you're glad Nikki's gone."

A crack appeared in Juliet's mask, her eyes narrowing for a second as she glanced toward the fire. "I think you're over stepping the boundaries. Let's not forget you are here as my guest."

Overlooking the people on the floor, Mikey leaned forward, resting his forearms on the table top. Clasping his hands he pressed his thumbs together and inhaled. "Juliet, forgive me, but you're giving out mixed messages. One minute you say we all have something to do with this book," he nodded his head to the open text in the centre of the table, "and the next you're refusing to talk."

"I don't--" Juliet started.

"Please, don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to understand." Mikey's spoke kindly, diffusing some of the pressure in the room with his dulcet tenor. "You see, I know how you feel about Nikki, but I think it stems from more than her simply being a demon. I also know that you're anxious and scared but I'm not sure why."

"How dare you?" The old woman raged. Standing up she pointed at Mikey, moving to him so she could jab her finger against his chest. "You have no right to use your powers against me."