Chapter Thirty-Seven

The day had drawn on slowly amidst the circular pattern of insults, apologies, disbelief and accusations. Nikki hadn't read through much more of the book. She hadn't had a chance between defending her actions and protesting her innocence. More than once Josh had tried dragging her from the room, but Sam had been right, running away together, whilst appealing, wasn't the best solution.

Sitting through yet another argument, Nikki's eyes wandered to the small child playing by the fire. The ghost of Scarlett had appeared throughout the day but the noisy debates had sent her scurrying away. This time, Nikki caught her eye and smiled.

"Don't you wish you could disappear like she does?" Nikki whispered, leaning towards Josh.

He pulled his head from his hands and removed his elbows from the table. He looked weary and annoyed.

"Who?"

"Scarlett, she's over by the fire."

His eyes whipped across to the dying embers. "Yes and we need more coal." He scraped back his chair earning the attention of the room. Sam sighed heavily.

"Oh relax," Josh snapped, "I'm just going to grab some more coal from the shed, and don't worry, I'm going alone."

Sam checked the fire before nodding tersely.

Nikki watched as Josh strode out of the room only to  turn back around to find Scarlett now taking residency in Josh's newly vacated chair.

"That story you told me. It wasn't just a story was it? This is all about Mortemb and Latébris and the monster was Malus Deamn."

Rubbing her temples with her thumbs Nikki sighed slowly and nodded.

"So," Scarlett continued in her musical voice, "The queen had to be the fourth Prophet."

Resting her elbows on the table, Nikki cradled her head and turned to look at the child's bright eyes.

"Yes, well that's what I think anyway."

"So Malus is sad because they killed her."

"Oh Scarlett," Nikki folded her arms and dropped her tired head down onto them. "I don't know anymore. I thought I knew but everything keeps changing."

Around her the table were still discussing their next move and no one seemed to pay any attention as she quietly conversed with the dead girl.

"Where did the Guardian's come from?"

"A place called Dantisticia but I don't really know more than that."

"And you were human but now you're a demon. So why aren't you trying to kill Josh and Sam?"

Nikki shook her head and closed her tired eyes. "I was Josh's Charge but my dad was a shape shifting demon from Latébris. After a big battle the human part of me died and I became a full demon but I still feel the same. I ... It's hard to explain."

"Is that why I'm still here? Why haven't I really died? Am I a demon too?" Scarlett's small voice was weighted with such anguish, Nikki couldn't help but screw up her face in sympathy.

"Oh sweetheart, no. I don't think you're a demon, I think you're more like an angel. I wish I could explain why you're here but I can't and I'm not sure I ever will be able to."

Green eyes, sparkling with fat tears filled Nikki's gaze as she sat up. "Scarlett, don't cry." But it was too late. Sobs shook the young girl's body and she let the droplets spill down her face. Instinctively Nikki moved to wipe them but before she could Scarlett flung herself into Nikki's lap. As her small hands moved to reach Nikki's waist she laid her head against Nikki's thigh and sobbed, "I think I'm a monster."