Chapter Twenty-Two

Night had fallen and Ezekius had returned amidst heated disagreements and possible courses of action. Nikki had insisted that only she enter the village to which Sam had vigorously protested. Josh had finally settled their argument by suggesting Nikki went first and if she needed help she would send for them via Ezekius.

"And you're sure that she didn't give you any other information?" Nikki questioned for the hundredth time.

Sam rubbed his eyes and clenched his jaw.

"We're going around in circles." Josh complained, taking a seat next to Nikki.

"Okay, one last time. Everything we know about this place says that it's abandoned except for the Hunters. History tells us that the first settlers built a stone temple which was renovated to the church that we hope still stands." Sam stared intently at Nikki who nodded.

"Our best starting point is to enter the church as from what you have seen the Hunters can't or wont cross the gates into the building."

"If we're going to find this scripture, letter, book or what ever it is I'm sure the church is the best place to start, but from there we can coordinate where we'll go next." Nikki added.

"And if there's any trouble, we regroup at the van and do our best to fight them off." Sam said. "It's not a great plan but until we know what we're dealing with, it's all we've got."

"Don't s'pose you have the ability to turn invisible do you?" Josh joked nudging Nikki. She rolled her eyes.

Sam reached for his jacket. "So we're in agreement. We hunt, get ourselves up to full strength, spend the night here and head out at dawn."

"There's a healthy demon population in the town prior to this one. My recommendation would be to travel there, feed and then return, that way any followers will have no choice but to show themselves." Ezekius offered from below his cloak.

"So we drive there?" Josh asked uncertainly.

Nikki shrugged. "Might as well, we'll attract less attention that way."

"Let's go then." Sam's eyes twinkled as he smiled wickedly at Nikki. "I gotta say, I'm looking forward to seeing you on the prowl."

Nikki shuddered and swallowed down her unease. The thought of Sam and Josh watching her as she fed was not something she could stomach "Oh no, we're separating. Zeke and I will take the west side of the town and you two can have the east."

Josh, who had been pulling on a new leather coat he'd acquired at the airport, froze. "What?"

"What? There is no way I'm doing that in front of you two, it's just ... It's inconceivable."

"Why?" His dark hair fell in front of his eyes. 'Why do you keep insisting that I can't see you hunt? I've seen you feeding three times now, it's no big deal--"

"Maybe not to you!"

"No not to me and it shouldn't be for you. You kill and drink for survival, that's all. It's not sick or twisted and I certainly wont change my opinion of you because of it." His eyes dropped and he sidled closer. "If anything," he slid his hand to her neck and held her in place as his lips brushed her ear. "I'd find it a bit of a turn on."

His words horrified Nikki but she tried her best to hide it. "I'm sorry--"

"Don't be," Sam interrupted lightly, "nothing to be sorry for. We'll hunt in a pack and get back before midnight. That'll give us plenty of time to rest up before the big day tomorrow."

"Wait."

"Let's go." Smiling widely, Sam clamped his hands down on her shoulders and pushed her towards the door.