Bodies

Chapter 9

Alia

Desmond looked at us like we were crazy.

"Why are you about to kill this kid?" his loud voice made his Australian accent deeper.

"He's been bitten." Bernie replies.

"Look around, Desmond!" One of the group members yelled from the trucks.

I looked back at the cars to see if Abella would come. I guess she is doing something busy.

"What the hell happened? Who screwed with our camp?" Desmond questioned in a booming voice. He was angry.

"Look," Miles jumped up,"It's not our fault that the camp got invaded! You left no soldiers but Bernie and like two men. The women didn't know how to fight. And I'm sure as hell the kids didn't. We all risked our lives to protect those children. We were just too late."

Desmond sighed and looked down. Miles had calmed him down.

"Desmond," I spoke up, "Andrew Moymer put his infected daughter in the RV bathroom to protect her. I don't know why, but I guess he never wanted to see her face like the monsters out there. When I ran back to the RV, she had already broken the bathroom door. She was already on top of this kid right in front of us. I'm so sorry..."

The sun glared down at me. I wiped some sweat off my forehead.

"Hey... Guys! The kid, he's... not breathing!" Dane shouted.

Dane pointed his shotgun at the kid.

We were all silent. The people gathered around. A man pushed through the crowd.

"CJ? CJ! No... It can't be!" he cried.

He ran up to the kid and hugged his dead body.

Bernie shouted, "No! He's gonna turn!"

"Back away from the damned!" Dane demanded.

The man hugged his kid. He sobbed and sobbed. I just thought... before this apocalypse... before all this madness happened... they were all normal people with normal lives. Now, it's all about survival. No more future. It's just the present day against humanity.

The CJ's eyes opened. It was just a pale grey instead of those beautiful brown eyes just moments ago. The kid's mouth opened.

"Damn you!" the man shouted at his kid.

CJ's dad took out his revolver and shot CJ right in between his eyes. CJ fell to the ground. His head turned to me. His eyes were still open with that void of... sadness. I looked at CJ's dad. He kept mumbling something... That's when it became clear.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He kept mumbling fast.

Then he did something unexpected. He put the tip of his gun under his jaw.

He muttered, "God won't forgive me... he has abandoned us sinners."

He shot the gun. He fell to the floor. I tried looking away but I couldn't. Some people threw up, some cried, but some just stared.

I looked at Miles. He just looked mad. I don't know why. Then he just walked away to the woods. It's dangerous out there.

Desmond spoke, "We all need to clean up. Be careful because we don't know if some are still... infected."

I turned around and ran to where Miles went. I entered the piney woods. It was hot out. I felt really dizzy. It was really hot.

"Miles!" I called out.

Where is he?

I wiped a little sweat off my forehead. I felt like throwing up.

"Miles!" I called again.

I bumped into a tree. I dropped my gun. Everything was spinning and wavy.

"Miles..." I muttered.

It was so hot. My skin was burning. I just want... water.

I dropped to the floor and passed out.

***

I woke up to the night sky. A cool breeze passed by me. The sky was so clear that I could see maybe hundreds of stars above me. It was beautiful.

"Hey there." I heard a guy's voice by me.

Surprised, I shot up. I began feeling really lightheaded.

"Lay back down." I knew it was Miles.

He put his hands on my shoulders and laid me back down.

"Wha- what the hell?" I muttered.

"You're an idiot you know." Miles chuckled quietly.

I still felt a bit sick and confused.

"Miles... what happened?" I asked.

"You had a heat stroke. I heard you yelling my name so I hid. I knew you would ask what was wrong. Then I saw you tumbling and acting sick. You fell and I ran after you. I couldn't bring you back to camp since the lake was so close. I already knew you were having a heat stroke. So I put you in the shades and I made sure you drank water. You should really drink a lot of water." He explained.

"Oh." I muttered.

"You know, it was really hard for me too. It was really hot and I had to carry you all the way here." Miles added.

He laid down looking at the stars with me.

"Thank you." I told him.

He let out a breath. We just laid there in silence... just looking into the starry sky.

*****************************************************

Hello people!! Thanks for all the support and thanks for EVERYTHING! I'm so happy that people actually do read my books. I know I haven't updated in a while but I've been so busy with life, drama, relationships, school stuff, and random stuff that I had writers block. But, I have met this one dude who literally gave me ideas without him knowing! :D I'm so sneaky lol. But thank you again folks because it literally makes me so happy when I see that someone voted or commented or even put it in their reading list. :) I love you guys!!