Are We Better Together?

“Up! Up!” My choreographer yelled at us. We went up and down on our toes, starting to perfect that portion of the routine. “Kiara! Widen your second position,” She said.

I widened my stance in second position and continued on. I could feel my toes starting to bleed. We had been going for at least two hours, which just about murders your feet. I made a mental note to go get a new pair of pointe shoes.

I need new ones every two weeks or so as I wear them out that fast. I did a grand jete then posed for the ending.

“Quite beautiful for only the second week. Well done girls. I’ll see you all on Wednesday,” Lisa said. I grabbed my papers and water bottle.

“Kiara?” I turned to see Lisa. “Yes?” “You’re still coming in tomorrow morning at seven, correct?” “Yes,” I nodded. I had to practice my solo portions.

“Great, I would get some new shoes tomorrow after we practice,” She pointed at my feet. “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow,” I smiled and walked out of the studio.

I had a text from Alex. “Can we talk? I miss you,” It read. I sighed. I had been ignoring him for a week now.

“Sure,” I texted back. I got a call from him. I answered. “Ki?” “Yeah?”

“Babe, I’m so sorry. I really really am. I was just so stressed out. I promise to make it more about you,” I sighed, “It’s okay, Alex. I was stressed out too. Just so much going on,”

“I’m so happy you understand,” He said, “So I have this charity event tomorrow night. I was wondering if you wanted to go,” “Sure, what’s the dress code?”

“Semi-formal. I’m wearing a red tie, so something to match it?” “Okay, and you’ll pick me up?” “Yeah, five-thirty,” “Okay, see you then,” “I love you, Kiara,” I froze and then said, “I love you too, Alex,” Did I really mean it? 

~

“You look beautiful,” Alex said as he opened the door to the limo for me. He kissed me on the cheek. I smiled. I had picked out a cute black mini with a red sash. Perfect.

I stepped into the car and Alex followed. We headed to the event. Cameras flashed as usual. We headed down the read carpet.

It looked as this was an event for Young Hollywood. I spotted Chloe Mortez and Hailee Steinfeld. A few Disney Channel and Nick stars were here as well. I smiled for the cameras and Alex had to answer some questions.

Apparently, he had made quite the donation to this fund for children in Africa. “I didn’t know you donated,” I smiled. “Well, I know that you have always wanted to do something to help those kids, so I made a donation,” He smiled.

“Aw! Isn’t he just the sweetest boy ever?” I said to the interviewer and pinched Alex’s cheeks. The interviewer nodded ecstatically. I grabbed Alex’s arm as we made our way down the line of press. I looked around, taking in the venue.

Then I saw it. A flash of blonde. I instinctively turned away. Please don’t come over here. Please don’t.

“Cody! Taylor! Over here!” An interviewer near us called. Thank God, Alex was leading us into the building.

The huge ballroom had huge orchids and beautiful lights illuminating the walls. A DJ was playing a nice beat as people started to enter. We found our table and sat down. A few stars from Disney sat at our table as well. They were very nice. I was talking to a girl named Kelli when a woman came on stage.

“Welcome everyone! Thank you all for coming!” She said and we clapped. “Dinner will be served in a few minutes! Please remember to sign the card that we will be giving to the children. The donation table is also open. Cash and checks are accepted. Enjoy!” She said.