Everybody Talks

“So you broke up with Taylor, and you want to get back together with Kiara?” Alli said. I nodded. “Good luck with that,” She scoffed.

“Alli, come on. Help me out here,”

“I’m speaking for Kiara when I say this, but you hurt her, Cody. You hurt her really badly. You were a real jerk to her. It took her a long time...a long time to get...over you,” She said.

I looked at her questioningly. She looked like she was hiding something. I wouldn’t blame her for keeping something from me.

“Alli, what aren’t you telling me?”

“Cody, look. Kiara doesn’t need anymore stress in her life,” She said, walking away from me.

“Or heartbreak,” She mumbled under her breath.

“Heartbreak?” I grabbed her arm, “What did Alex do to her?”

“It doesn’t matter Cody! You have no control over her. Stay out of her life, Cody. You’d be making her miserable,”

“What did Alex do? What aren’t you telling me, Alli?”

She sighed, “He cheated on her,”

Anger boiled up inside me.

“That punk. I’ll kill him,” I walked toward the door.

“Cody, no!”Alli grabbed my arm, “Beating him up won’t solve anything! It’s over and done with. Kiara is fine now,”

“I-I-I should call her,”

“Cody. Please. If you really loved her, you would leave her alone,” Alli said with a serious look.

She was right. I wanted her to be happy. I didn’t want her to be hurt anymore.

“Are you sure she’ll be alright?”

“Yes. I’m sure,” Alli said.

“Fine, I’ll leave her alone. Just forget I said anything,” I sighed.

She nodded and pulled me into a hug.

“It will get better, Cody,” She said.

I wasn’t so sure. 

~

“Cody! Let’s go! Don’t want to be late for your meeting!” Mum called from downstairs.

“Coming!” I grabbed a snapback and sighed, placing it on my head. I descended the staircase and walked out the door behind Mum. We got in the car and I pulled out of the driveway.

“Honey, are you feeling alright? You’ve been very quiet lately,” Mum asked as we drove past the pier.

“I’m fine,” I grumbled, gripping the steering wheel. I was surprised she noticed. She hadn’t been very caring to me recently. She barely ever talks to me unless it’s about business. I wouldn’t blame her. I have been acting like a jerk for months. I’m a bitter person.

“Of course you are,” She said in a sarcastic tone.

“Why do you care now? You haven’t cared in months!” I said, hitting the brake.

“You aren’t even acting like my son anymore! That’s why! I don’t even know you anymore, Cody Robert! Ever since you started dating that Taylor you’ve been different,” She said angrily.

“You know that I had to date her! For my job!”

“You didn’t have to do it! We wouldn’t have cared if you didn’t take the job. You’re the one who threw away your perfect relationship. You’re the one who chose money over Kiara! You chose the fake girl over your soul mate!” She said.

I was taken aback. That was how she felt? I scowled and kept driving.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I dumped Taylor last night. We’re over,” I said, not even looking at her.

“That doesn’t magically fix everything. Kiara is gone, Cody,”

“I realize that, Mum. I already had this conversation with Alli last night,”

“Cody-”

“Mum, I don’t want to talk about this. I realized that I’ve been a douchebag for the past year and I’m sorry. I let the best thing in my life slip away and it’s too late to fix everything now,” I let out a huff of air.

She was silent for a second then she said, “Pull over,”

I pulled over, puzzled.

She reached over and hugged me.

“Cody, I’m sorry,” She said, smoothing her hand over my hair.

“I know that it’s been rough and your father and I have not been very nice to you lately. We were just upset with your choices. We should have been helping you out. I’m sorry, hun,”

I sighed.

“It’s okay, Mum,” I said as she rubbed my back.

For once, I actually felt better. 

The meeting had been about another movie. A new romance movie. I currently sat in the waiting room of the studio for the audition. I held the script in my hands, which were shaking a bit. I took a deep breath. Just be yourself and try your best, Codes. You can do this.

“Cody Simpson,” A man said. I stood up and looked over to see a man holding a clip board. I followed him to the audition room and saw the panel of judges.

“Cody!” I was greeted with a hug from my former director, Kevin.

“So glad you could join us today!” He smiled.

“Thanks for inviting me, Kevin,” I smiled.

Since my last movie was such a success, Kevin wanted me to come read for this new role to see if I would be a good match for the part. The character’s name was Drew. Kevin sat back down with the other judges and they had me read a few scenes. I remembered to smile and make gestures like Drew would.

“Thank you, Cody,” Kevin smiled at the end of the audition, “We want you to come back on Tuesday to read with some of the girls up for the role of Holly,”

“Sounds great. Thank you so much for having me. It was a pleasure,” I shook their hands, “See you on Tuesday,” I waved and left the room, feeling better than I have in months. 

I walked into the audition on Tuesday morning, feeling pretty optimistic about the callback. There were only a few other boys there and I didn’t recognize them. I made sure that I walked confidently and held my head up. I had to come off as confident for the judges.

“Gentlemen! Welcome! Thank you so much for coming back,” Kevin said, “We are going to pair you up with a girl and see how well you connect with them,” We nodded.

They brought the girls in and there twice as many of them. There were five boys and ten girls.

“Each boy will be paired up with two girls and audition with them. In about an hour, we’ll narrow it down to the top five couples then down to the top three, then to the top two,” Kevin said.

We all nodded and he began reading off names.

“Austin, you are first auditioning with Michaela,” Kevin said. Michaela walked over to the boy named Austin.

“Cody, you are auditioning first with Kiara,” He said.

Oh my God.

Kiara looked up from her script and we locked eyes.

There was no way...

OOOHHHH CLIFFHANGER!! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE! Sorry that I've been so MIA! I've had so much to do and this kept getting put off! Plus, I had awful writer's block!! This is a Christmas present for you guys! (:

I dedicated this to Soccerchik22 because she left the sweetest comment on the last chapter!(:

If you guys leave at least five comments and ten votes, I might upload in a few days!!((:

Leggoooo!

-Emmi