Vulnerability

I needed more money. The job I had did not pay me enough to repay my debts when I returned to my country. This was where my good friend Tajul, whom I had worked with before, offered me a chance to return to Singapore and obtain another job. I called up my brother in Singapore and told him to pass the fee of $4000 to Tajul, before paying for my air ticket, medical checkup and Safety Orientation Course. I was now $4500 poorer, but ready to start my job in Singapore.

Except that this was not to be, Tajul’s boss told me that he did not have sufficient funds to arrange a permit, and asked me to provide another $1000 for the work permit. He also told me that the permit would allow me to stay in Singapore, but they did not have a job for me. I too, was out of funds, but I managed to arrange for $500 to be passed to the boss. But even so, weeks passed and no permit arrived. It became apparent to me that the only way out was to approach MOM.

 Footnote

The actions of the employer in this story breach Section 415 of the Singapore Penal Code, by deceiving the person and fraudulently induces the person to deliver property to him. Not only was he cheated of his money when he first came to Singapore, his boss proceeded to extort more money out of him under the pretense that it was a necessity for him to stay in Singapore. These cases are not uncommon in Singapore, where many employers cheat their workers’ wages as they are unsure of how the system in Singapore work. These employers remorselessly prey on the ignorance of the workers and what is more unfortunate is that these workers do not know how to complain against their employers.