Waiting

1/11/2013

I injured my back and arms while working, and I reported it to the timekeeper. Hopefully medical aid will come soon

7/11/2013

I snuck out to see the doctor today, and he said my injuries were serious. He even handed me a certificate to say that I was unfit for work. I am going to see the timekeeper again tomorrow.

8/11/2013

I passed the certificate to the timekeeper, but he threatened to send me home. I do not know what to do. I have kept quiet about my other injuries all this time, yet the company has chosen to leave me in the lurch in my time of need. I need help, someone, anyone.

15/11/2013

My friend recommended me a lawyer to help me obtain compensation, however, I would need to pay him a cut of it. Hopefully good news can come soon.

1/12/2013

I haven’t heard anything from my lawyer, but this case is probably hard. Maybe tomorrow.

1/4/2014

I haven’t heard from the lawyer, I haven’t sent money back home to my family in months. Is this it? I am struggling to get by, and I can’t continue much longer.

2/4/2013

……………………….

3/4/2014

…………………………………………..

4/4/2014

…………………………………………………………

 Footnote:

This story depicts a violation of article 10 of the UDHR, which lists the right to a fair and public hearing in determination of the person’s rights and obligations, as well as article 23 of the UDHR, which lists the right to work under favourable conditions. This case shows the deep problems with Singapore’s system, namely the fact that should oppressed victims choose to sue their employers, the lengthy legal proceedings coupled with the high cost serve as major deterrents for victims searching for a way to get compensated. Furthermore, the stigma of sueing ones employer would likely stay with the worker for life, preventing him from obtaining better job prospects. As such, this deeply rooted problem has greatly prevented justice from being served.