Insecure

I felt a splitting headache coming on. Thinking I wouldn’t be able to work in this state, I reported my headache to my supervisor, and he allowed me to return to the dormitory to rest. I was to travel on the company lorry, but since the cab was occupied, I was forced to sit at the back, where a heavy-looking rotor sat. Nevertheless, I found some space in a corner and sat down. About five minutes in, the lorry made a sharp turn, and the rotor suddenly rolled off its stand and towards me. Realising that the rotor had not been properly secured, I tried to get out of the way, but I wasn’t quick enough. The rotor brushed across my chest briefly before impacting my wrist. Instantly, I felt my wrist crack, and I let out a yelp of pain. I had actually been quite lucky, as the rotor would have probably caused fatal injuries if it had crashed onto my chest. Often, us workers are crammed into the back of lorries along with sharp tools and heavy machinery. This practice should be reformed, to minimise the risk to workers while being transported.

Footnote:

This story depicts the violation of article 23 of the UDHR, which lists the right to work under favourable conditions. Granted, the worker was partly at fault for not properly securing the rotor, but the fact that workers have to share a ride with potential hazards is still much cause for concern. The trade off of safety for convenience is clearly an unfavourable trade, and this practice should be prohibited in the future.