Chapter 2

Chapter 2

My phone ringing on my nightstand woke me up from my deep slumber. Groaning, I rolled over while placing my hand on the table and picking up my phone.

“Hello?” I answered groggily.

“Hey Ells?” Kyle asked. I made a sound to let him know to continue. “Can you come pick me up from Austin’s?” Austin was Kyle’s best friend. He was like the geek of the school while Kyle was the sporty one, but you would never find them apart; they were inseparable.

“Shoot! What time is it?” I shot up in my bed to glance at my alarm clock but then remembered I broke it a couple days ago.

“Almost noon,” he said, “so I need you to pick me up because I can’t stay,” he trailed off.

I rubbed my hand over my face groaning again. “Give me ten minutes tops.”

“Okay. See ya.” He hung up.

I dropped my body back on the bed. How could I have slept in so late? I’m going to be late for work. Shoot!

Sprinting to the bathroom, I brushed my long hair and quickly braided it. While I brushed my teeth, I put on makeup and got dressed into light jeans and my black polo shirt. It was the one I had to wear for the restaurant I work at.

Once I finished, I checked my phone to see four minutes have passed. I still have time. Running down the stairs, I shoved on my black converse and pulled on my hoodie. Five minutes.

“El I’m hungry,” I heard my seven year old brother, Alex, groan. Oh crap. How did I forget that he was here?

“Uhm,” I paused thinking. “You’re going to go over Mrs. Marien’s with Kyle,” I made up. Mrs. Marien is our neighbor who always helps me with my brothers and without her, I’d be screwed.

“But Kyle’s not here,” he looked up at me confused. His light blue eyes stared at me. I gulped. I didn’t even have time to pick up Kyle as it is.

“Come with me,” I grabbed his hand and brought him to the front door. “Quickly get on your shoes and jacket and meet me in the car. Okay?” I looked at him before he nodded.

I ran out starting the car and a minute later Alex appeared. He made himself comfortable in the backseat.

After five minutes, I arrived at Austin’s house with Kyle waiting outside. His dark hair was matted to his face from the downpour outside and I watched as he kept pushing it off his face. I guess the good weather’s over.

“Finally,” he groaned closing the passenger door.

“Sorry,” I muttered as thunder sounded. The storm just had to start now, didn’t it? “Can you cook for your brother?” I glanced at Kyle pleadingly a couple of minutes later.

He shrugged. “Sure.”

Breathing out a sigh of relief, I dropped them off. I didn’t have to get Mrs. Marien to babysit.

“Don’t burn the house down!” I called out to them as the door shut. Kyle gave me the finger and opened the door for Alex.

I arrived at the restaurant a couple minutes late.

“I’m so sorry! I slept in and then I had to pick Kyle up. But I had to give Alex food so I decided to make Kyle give him food once I picked him up. And now I’m worried he’s going to burn the house down,” I rambled as I bit my nails.

“Calm down,” Sergio, my boss, held up his hand to get me to stop.

“Sorry,” I apologized.