Chapter 5

To be completely honest, I forgot about this story and forgot where I was heading with it so I got bored and wrote this in like half an hour so I hope it's not bad, but I felt so guilty leaving it. i've just had major writer's block for months now and haven't written anything. okay i'm done ranting. you can read now (: 

Chapter 5

“Hey dude.” My gaze slowly drifted up from the dish I was washing to Kyle who was leaning against the entryway.

“Yes?” I asked curious as to why he was downstairs since it was almost one in the morning and he should be sleeping.

“Do you think mom is going to come back?”

The question took me by surprise so much that the dish fell from my hands and landed in the sink with a loud sound. I turned around to face him. “Why are you suddenly asking?”

He shrugged and avoided locking eyes with me. “I just – I just don’t want her to come back,” he mumbled, but I clearly heard him.

I was so confused. I mean, yes our mother was terrible and I never wanted to see her again, but he never told me this. We sort of avoided the topic.

“Kyle, what is this really about?” I walked to the table and motioned to the seat next to me. He hesitated but sat down.

“I don’t want her to do what she did to you before,” he finally spoke after a moment’s silence. My heart stopped for a second as memories flashed through my mind. I slid my chair closer to him and wrapped my arm around his shoulders. He tiredly placed his head on my shoulder.

“She won’t because I won’t let her,” I told him sternly but I barely believed the words myself. To be honest, I have no idea what I would do when, or if, she came back.

“I had a nightmare that she came back,” he paused and sucked in a ragged breath, “and she was hurting you and you were crying trying to yell bac-,” I cut him off.

“Kyle. Stop. I’m fine. She’s not here.” I began rubbing his back, not wanting to hear the rest of his nightmare.

“Can you sleep in my room?” His voice cracked and he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

My heart broke. He was so vulnerable and I just wanted to keep him safe. I will keep him safe. “Of course,” I happily accepted. I kissed his temple and we went up to his room with a dish left forgotten in the sink.

“Thank god you’re here on time,” is what Kit greeted with me when I arrived at my locker.

“Now why would I want to miss school?” I replied sarcastically as I failed at opening my locker the first time. “Fuck,” I muttered trying again and, again, not succeeding. Damn it. I slammed the locker with my fist and breathed in.

“Ellie? Are you okay?” Kit questioned concernedly while she gripped my shoulder and looked at me. “Holy shit Elle. Did you sleep at all last night?”

My eyes widened as I completely forgot about the lock. “You can tell? Damn it. I thought I covered it up.” I mentally kicked myself. I should really learn how to use make up.

“Do you wanna skip?” Her eyes were bright with concern and I knew she really would leave school just so I could sleep, but I wasn’t going to let her.

“Nah, it’s fine. I’m already here so why not?” I sent her a reassuring smile to tell her I really meant it. “Now can you open my locker?”

She chuckled and nodded, swinging the green door open.

“Ellie,” a now familiar voice said behind me.