Falling apart

When the door closed behind you, and you were out of Loki's sight you ran down the corridor to find Stark. The last thing you needed was him spreading the gossip about this misunderstanding.

First, you wanted to make things clear before anyone could start shipping you with the god. You had feelings for him, and definitely wanted to be with him, but he was the God of Lies after all. What if he was just toying with you? He was your friend, and you wanted to trust him, but somehow you couldn't imagine that he was serious back in your room. You didn't want to fall for his little game.

So, your to-do list was the following: explain things to Stark, take a hot relaxing bath, and last but not least having a big conversation with Steve about everything. You really needed to clear your head and talk things through with your friend.

Two hours and a godly bubble bath later you were sitting on two beanbags on the rooftop with Steve under the starry sky. You told him everything: the journey to Muspelheim, your argument with Loki (but you left out the details of your origins), the final fight with the giants and Surtur, the returning, and Tony seeing you on the floor.

"I haven't been to any other realms, so it must be interesting to travel and fight against these creatures... You really went through a lot during the week. And what do you think, where is this thing between you two going?" Steve asked.

"That's the problem, I don't know."

"Do you have feelings for him?" he lifted an eyebrow.

"Do you really have to ask? Were you sleeping while I was talking to you?" you giggled. Sometimes he had so silly questions, but you couldn't be angry at him.

"Okay, okay..." he smiled back. "And what about him? Do you think he loves you too?"

"That's what I want to know too. He likes me as a friend for sure, even if he would never say it. But I don't know if he has any feelings toward me. Tony warned me about him in the beginning, and now here I am not knowing if he's playing with me or not. I want to believe he's not fooling me, but... I just don't know! I'm so confused by this whole situation."

"You're right, it's hard to tell. They don't call him the God of Lies for nothing. If he hurts you, I'll beat the shit out of him!"

"Steve, language!" you laughed, and playfully punched his arm. Usually, you were the one who needed to watch your language.

"Sorry, I just... want you to be happy. If he does anything to you..." he gave you a worried look.

"Thank you, it means me a lot. I don't think he'll cause more trouble than usual, but if something happens, you're the first to know."

There were no words for how grateful you were to have this man as your friend. If Loki wasn't in the picture, you could easily fall for him. He was caring, understanding and damn, he was handsome too.

"It's getting cold, we should head back inside." He got up and offered you a hand to pull you up. You took it happily, and stood in front of him, looking into his eyes.

"Thank you for everything. I'm so lucky to have you," you reached up to hug him. He returned the tight hug with a soft smile:

"Anything for you."

In the dark, you couldn't see the tall man, who stepped out of the elevator and headed your way. He stopped when he saw the two of you embracing each other and heard the last things you said. With a dark expression on his face, he returned to the elevator without you even realising his presence...

The next day you woke up fresh and full of energy. You had the best sleep in your life, finally in your own bed, and not in the uncomfortable sleeping bag on the ground. The shock of meeting Surtur and the giants faded away, and now you were ready for new adventures. You took a shower, put on a pair of jeans and a cute top, and walked up in the room next door, looking for Loki. You wanted to plan things out for the trip to Jotunheim. You were eager to see that realm you've heard so many stories about. Unfortunately, Loki wasn't in there.

In the kitchen you found Thor eating a huge pile of pancakes with almost a full bottle of syrup on it. You sat down next to him with a bowl of cereal. He was a cheerful little ray of sunshine, as always. You two were chatting for a while, he asked you about your epic fight against the Firefolk, and he was telling you his breathtaking battle stories too. Now his hair was pure blonde again, the blue dye fully disappeared. After finishing your breakfast, you asked him about his brother, but badly the Thunder God had no idea, where he was.

In the afternoon it started to annoy you that Loki was literally nowhere to be found. Like he was avoiding you on purpose. Did he get mad at you because you teased him back? Or because of the thing with Surtur? You had no idea because as far as you remembered, you did nothing to make him angry. To settle your mind you went to the library to read something.

As you were wandering around the huge shelves, you finally found Loki sitting in a hidden corner, reading a huge old looking, leather-covered book.

"I was looking for you all day!" You stood in front of him, with your hands on your hips.

"Now you found me." He didn't look up from his book, and his voice was cold. You decided not to care about this, and sat down next to him.

"I wanted to talk to you about the details of the trip to Jotunheim. I can't wait to finally see the place," you started with huge enthusiasm in your eyes and voice.

"I'm not going." He still didn't lift his eyes from his reading, and his face showed no interest or any emotions at all. Something was off about him.

"What? But it was your idea in the first place. You were the one who was looking for adventure and wanted to go so bad. What happened?"

"Changed my mind." The cold and hostile tone of his voice hurt you, and your blood started to boil in your veins. It annoyed you that he didn't even look up from his stupid book while rejecting you.

"What is your problem?" you snapped the book out of his hand. "Is it about what happened in my room? Or because of Stark? Because he won't say shit about us to the others. Or are you afraid I won't be able to save your ass in Jotunheim too?"

"Why don't you leave me alone, and go with that idiotic patriot? I bet he's ten times better than me, and you are lucky to have someone like him," he shouted at you angrily, while making his way to the exit among the shelves. His last words made everything clear. But how did he know about that? He wasn't on the roof, was he? You quickly blocked the door, before he could get out of the library.

"Were you eavesdropping yesterday, or what?" you put your hands on your hips again and raised your eyebrow at him. He stood your gaze and stared back with his cold blue eyes.

"I wanted to talk to you, but when I found you in that asshole's arms, I left. I'm not Stark to ruin your little moment," he hissed while a pained smile spread across his thin pale lips.

"We had no moment there, he is just my friend. And why are you acting like this by the way? Are you jealous?" Deep down you hoped he would be because that would mean he has feelings for you. But sometimes he was just unpredictable and hard to read. This was one of those moments.

"Why would I be? We are not together or anything! I don't care what you do with that dork, just leave me out of this. Now get out of my way!" he pushed you away from the doorway and furiously rushed out.

You did not follow, just sank down to the floor with your back to the wall. His words hurt more than anything as hot tears started to slowly run down your face.

Everything's ruined.