Chapter Two: The Truth Is...

Cover credits go to Dany1908! Song for the chapter is: The Truth Is... (I Lied About Everything) by Theory Of A Deadman (the video is weird but it plays the song so just listen to the song xD)

Dominik:

"Hey, baby. Want to hang out today at my house?" I asked Jack once lunch rolled around. I need to investigate before I actually follow him. I'm not quite sure what "investigating" will include, but I'm going to find out. I guess I'll just... Try to see who he's texting? Yeah, that sounds good. I just don't know how I'm going to do this. These thoughts feel so wrong after trusting Jack for three whole years...

"Sure," He says shortly while staring at his phone. I deflate a little bit at his disinterested response and our friend, Isaac gives Jack a weird look. He then gives me a questioning look at which I look down. Both Jack and I have been close with Isaac since we were in middle school, and I really don't want to drag him into anything... but he might know something. And in that case, he'll tell me. I know he will.

I pull out my phone and inconspicuously side glance at Jack. I click on Isaac's contact and send him a text saying: "I'll call you tonight after he leaves my house- or whenever he decides he has something more important to do."

I twirl my fork around my spaghetti as I wait for Isaac to get my message. I watch him through my hair as he pulls out his phone that must've buzzed. He narrows his eyebrows in confusion and concern before glancing at me, then Jack who is still on his phone doing God knows what.

I suddenly get an idea and lean over like I'm going to kiss his cheek, while glimpsing his phone screen. He locks his phone screen before I can get a good look, all the while flinching away from me. He gives me a dubious look and shakes his head while sipping his Monster.

I clear my throat awkwardly, trying to get the forming lump in my throat to go away before my eyes lose the tears they are desperately trying to keep in. Isaac looks on with wide eyes and a slightly gaping mouth. Why? Well, it used to be so obvious that Jack and I love each other a lot, so it must've been a shock to see what Jack has been acting like the last few months. The striking pain in my chest never seems easier to handle when he does things like that. It's like one hand is squeezing my heart while another is squeezing my windpipe. It's a suffocating feeling that I despise feeling, and seem to be feeling way too often recently.

"Actually, Dom, I don't think I can hang out with you tonight. Mom is bugging for me to watch the kids today." Jack gives me an apologetic look and gets up to go throw his garbage away. I try to shrug it off; maybe his mom really does want him to babysit his two little sisters. Or...

"What the heck was that?" Isaac's voice interrupts my depressing train of thought. "He's never acted like this!" I shook my head and he cocks his head to the side.

"He's been like this for a few months. I guess it's not too obvious because nobody notices but me, but I don't know what's going on. There was this one girl, I think she's a Sophomore, came up to me and said that her sister has been sleeping with Jack. He's been so distant and it's not like him at all... He lied to me last night. He didn't text me goodnight until early in the morning, and he said that he had been with the guys at Mitch's; but we all know that Mitch went on vacation with his family last week. They aren't supposed to be home until the day after tomorrow. I think I'm going to follow him today," I finished quietly as I watched Jack slip out the door to the cafeteria. Isaac just sat there with furrowed eyebrows before he started nodding slowly. 

 "I'm coming with you. If it turns out to be true... You won't be in the best shape to drive, and I want to be there for you if you need me." I was nodding immediately. What he says is true: if he turns out to be lying to me, then I won't be in the right state of mind to be driving and I will want somebody there so I don't do anything stupid.