Chapter Twenty

Avenged Sevenfold had to take the stage shortly after Brian and Aubrey returned from their romp at the hotel. Hand-in-hand, they hurried through the parking lot, laughing at the fact that the band would take the stage a few minutes late due to them being literally unable to keep their hands off of each other for the last few hours.

Zack, Johnny, and the Berry brothers had done Brian a huge favor by setting up all his gear and tuning it how he likes, so that all he would have to do is show up, grab his guitar, and hit the stage. But they were still running a few minutes behind schedule.

"Jesus, finally!" Matt shouted as he saw the two swiftly approaching. With the signal that their guitarist had finally graced them with his presence, the rest of the band began rushing around to grab their instruments.

Aubrey's face flushed slightly, knowing they all knew where they had been and what they were doing.

"Do you have your laminate?" Brian asked her as they slowed their pace near the stage.

She looked down at herself. The laminated pass Valary had given her to give her access to any of the backstage areas was nowhere to be seen. "Shit. I must've left it at the hotel, sorry."

"It's okay," he said as he pulled his off and handed it to her. "Take mine. Go find, Val. She should be on the other side of the stage. Stay with her while we play."

"Okay," Aubrey nodded before turning to walk away.

But before she could take another step, Brian grabbed her arm and spun her back around. Without hesitation, he grabbed the back of her neck and brought her lips to his, kissing her roughly. She kissed back eagerly, as if she hadn't just spent the last couple of hours physically letting him know exactly how much she missed him.

"So glad you're here," he said with a soft pant as he tore his lips away from hers.

"Me too," she replied. "Good luck."

He kissed her one last time then let her walk away.

Aubrey found Valary right where Brian had said, on the other side of the stage, jotting something down on a clipboard.

"Hey Val," Aubrey announced her presence to the band's manager.

Val glanced up and smirked. "About time you two made it back."

Aubrey smiled sheepishly. "Brian told me to sit with you while they played."

"Best seat in the house," Valary replied then waved for Aubrey to follow her. "Come on."

They climbed a few unsteady steps to the stage and Aubrey felt her stomach clench.

"We're watching from the stage?" Aubrey asked with wide eyes.

"Yep," Val replied. "Unless you want to stand among a thousand sweaty teenagers, half of whom want to do unspeakable things to your boyfriend."

The word boyfriend rattled in Aubrey's head, but she ignored it for the moment.

"No thanks," Aubrey grimaced.

"That's how I feel too," Valary laughed. "So side stage it is."

Aubrey watched as Val hopped up on a stack of stage risers and motioned for her to do the same. Though they were toward the back corner of the stage, they had a great view of the band from behind. It was a whole new perspective, seeing the crowd in the same way that the band does.

"Put these in your ears," Valary instructed as she handed Aubrey two small orange earplugs. "Trust me."

"Thanks," Aubrey stated with relief as she finagled the plugs into her ears. It never even crossed her mind that she would need them. She mentally laughed at herself, still so naive to the ins and outs of touring.