Chapter Twenty-Nine

Rose had never kissed Scorpius with such vigour before.  Part of her wanted to put on a show for all those watching, her family included.  She wanted to show them how much she liked Scorpius.  But there was also a part of Rose that felt freed.  Everyone knew, now.  There was nothing holding them back.  They could be with each other openly, whether people approved or not. 

          She was sure it was that part, the liberated Rose, that was kissing Scorpius with as much passion as she could muster. 

          He had been frozen to begin with.  She could sense the hesitation coming from him, the uncertainty.  Her family was watching, after all.  And, even though Rose was sure he got the gist of their conversation, she knew he couldn't have heard the entire thing. 

          But then he melted.  He succumbed to her kiss, gripping her just as tightly and pressing his lips firmly against hers. 

          They kissed, and Rose didn't have another care in the world.  All she could think of was Scorpius.  All she could feel was him, his body, his kiss.  She was consumed by Scorpius Malfoy. 

          But it didn't last long.

          Scorpius pulled away, breathing heavily.  His eyes searched hers.  "What was that for?"

          "Everyone knows now, Scorp," she whispered back.  "And I don't care anymore.  Let them think what they want."

          Scorpius' gaze left hers.  He cringed as he took in the entire student population of Hogwarts watching them with dropped jaws.  "Everyone certainly does know."

          Rose took a step back, feeling a blush colour her cheeks as she realised what she had done.  She had just kissed Scorpius in front of everyone.  And not just a peck, either... they had really kissed. 

          A slow, enthusiastic clap met Rose's ears, breaking the silence in the Great Hall. 

          Charlie grinned up at them, clapping loudly.  "That was a quite a show," he snickered.  "Talk about dinner-time entertainment!" 

          Rose glared at him, but she couldn't help that the hilarity of the situation was making her lips twitch up a little.  Regardless, now was not the time for Charlie to make silly remarks. 

          Especially when Albus looked like his head was about explode. 

          Her family all stood beside the Gryffindor table where Rose had left them. 

          Hugo looked almost... sick.  Rose figured it had something to do with the fact that he'd just seen his sister snog a boy right in front of him.  Rose couldn't imagine enjoying seeing Hugo snog someone, either. 

          James stood next to him with his jaw hanging so wide open that someone could probably fit a dragon's egg in it.  His body was slack, arms dangling by his sides.  He looked like he couldn't believe what he had just seen.

          Lily stood behind James, arms crossed over her chest and hip cocked.  She had the smallest hint of a smirk on her face as she looked at Rose and Scorpius.  Other than that, Rose couldn't tell what she was thinking at all. 

          The most comical, yet equally terrifying, was the state of Albus.  Her cousin was staring at her and Scorpius, his lips pressed into a thin line.  His face was bright red and he appeared to be shaking.  One hand was in the right-hand pocket of his robes, gripping something that Rose knew to be his wand. 

          Rose froze.  He wouldn't bring his wand out, would he?  Surely he wasn't that angry. 

          Charlie seemed to have broken the spell of silence over the students and all at once a roar of gossipped whispers and giggles met Rose's ears.  Everyone was talking about what she had just done.  And they would no doubt be talking about it for a long time.