Chapter Twenty-Two

Despite having been up for the most part of the night, Rose was in a wonderfully good mood come the next day. She and Scorpius had ventured down to the Kitchens after dinner the night before, where they had wasted away hours chatting to Pipsey and snacking on the delicious treats that the House Elf whipped up for them upon their arrival.

Rose's heart had warmed at the sight of an excited Pipsey squealing with joy when they stepped through the portrait-door. She had smiled almost as widely as Pipsey when Scorpius patted the little creature on her large head in greeting.

She was sure, as she glided into the Great Hall the next morning in her own little dream, that nothing could bring her down from her gloriously high cloud.

Until, that is, she sat down across from Albus at the Gryffindor table.

Her cousin had barely touched his breakfast, the fried eggs askew and broken on top of the sad looking slice of toast. Instead of eating, Albus was scowling at the ground next to Rose, his elbow propped on the table and his head resting in his hand.

"Is everything alright, Al?" asked Rose.

"No," Albus moaned. "Nothing is 'alright'!"

"Why?" She asked. "What's wrong?"

"Wha— what's wrong?" Albus sputtered, for the first time looking at his cousin and registering the confused expression on her face. He frowned deeper. "Rose! How could you forget?"

"Forget what?"

"It's the last full week of term! We only have ten more days until the Christmas holidays and what did we tell you was happening at the end of term?"

Rose could only stare back at him blankly, in the hopes that she hadn't forgotten about an important test or essay for any of their subjects.

Albus fisted his hands in his hair. "We have been talking about this for weeks, Rose. I can't believe you forgot that my dad is coming tomorrow!"

Rose gaped. Of course! Her Uncle Harry was visiting the school to give a lecture on Defense Against the Dark Arts! How could she have forgotten?

"Actually, I can believe you forgot," Albus muttered bitterly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Rose, straightening her back defensively.

Albus turned his gaze to her, his brow furrowed in annoyance. "Well, you've been a little preoccupied lately. You ditched James and I in Hogsmeade. Lily says you haven't even spoke to her in about a week. You're spending all your time with that Slytherin!"

Rose's heart stopped. How had he found out? "I am not!" She denied, scowling at her cousin. "Besides, when was the last time Lily pried herself away from Lorcan to spend any time with us? That's not my fault! And you said you were okay with me going with Charlie on Saturday!"

"What was I supposed to say when he was standing right there?" Her cousin demanded. "You know, you could have just told me that you like him. You didn't have to lie."

"I don't like Charlie!" Rose pressed through gritted teeth, although, the relief she felt when she realised that the Slytherin he had been referring to was not Scorpius nearly extinguished the irritation. "Merlin's Beard!" She swore. "If anyone else asks me that I'll hex them!"

"You really don't like him?"

"No! We're just friends!"

Albus still looked doubtful, but he dropped the subject.