Chapter Twenty-Eight

Rose didn't see Scorpius until dinner in the Great Hall that night.  In some ways, she was grateful for that.  It gave her more time to figure out how she was going to tell him that Albus knew. 

          She had strategically placed herself so that Albus wasn't next to her.  He was sitting with his back to the Slytherin table, glaring daggers at his empty plate.  But at least it wasn't Scorpius on the end of his heated gaze. 

          Rose was seated next to Lily, who was directly opposite Albus.  James was across from her, but had placed his head on the table to nap while they waited for food. 

          Leaving Rose with a clear view of the Slytherin table.  And Charlie and Scorpius. 

          The former boy smiled brightly at her, fluttering his fingers at her in a sarcastic wave.  Rose couldn't find it in her to even smile.  Scorpius, on the other hand, had been frowning since he laid eyes on her. 

          He could tell that something was wrong.  He knew her so well. 

          Rose felt a pressure at the back of her eyes and willed the tears to stay back.  She shook her head lightly at Scorpius, trying to pretend that everything was fine.  She could pretend for now, just for a little while. 

          But she knew that, sooner or later, everyone would know the truth about the two of them. 

          Scorpius' frown only deepened in concern, Charlie's expression falling to one of confusion.  Rose forced herself to pull her gaze away. 

          Only to find Albus glaring at her like he'd just caught her snogging Scorp in the middle of the Great Hall.  Rose's stomach dropped, just as her gaze when his eyes narrowed to slits. 

          She swallowed.  Albus wasn't an angry person.  He was rarely cruel, he never lashed out.  Rose could count on one hand the number of times she'd seen him glare at someone.  But the numbers were quickly rising with the scowls and glowers he was sending her way. 

          "Albus," Lily said with a sigh.  "If you insist on glaring at Rose for the rest of your life could you please do it on your own time?  I'm trying to enjoy dinner with my family and you are making it extremely awkward."

          Albus stared at his sister.  His expression gave nothing but his anger away.  "You don't even know what she's done, Lily."

          Lily let out a light peel of laughter.  "I'm sure it's not that bad, Al.  You're so dramatic."

          "You'd be surprised," Albus spat.  He looked down at the food that had just appeared on his plate.  A green tinge seemed to wash over his skin.  "I'm not hungry.  I'm going to bed."

          He pushed away from the table and stalked from the Great Hall.  Rose watched him go.  Scorpius' gaze followed him as well, before he turned it on Rose quizzically.  Rose looked away.  She would fill him in on everything later. 

          "What is he talking about, Rose?" Lily questioned. 

          James watched with intrigue too, as Rose swallowed harshly.  "Nothing," she promised.  The word tasted bitter in her mouth.  "We just... had an argument."

          James hummed disbelievingly.  "Really?  He seems really upset."

          Rose looked down at her food, feeling the same rush of sickness that Albus appeared to have felt.  "We were both angry," she said.  "We said some horrible things.  We'll be okay, though."