Chapter 3: Punishment

When we get back to the camp, the master looked at us.

“Ahh… what do we have here? Thanks for Travis here who told us that he heard something in the woods and that you guys weren’t in your cage. Great job Travis.” I looked at Travis. He wasn’t proud of himself. “I would love to keep you here since you’ve done such a great job.” Travis’s face lighted up. “But too bad he already paid and no refunds.” He tensed (his hands were still on my shoulder). I looked at him and could see his rib cage expand with each deep breath he took. I felt bad again, but it only lasted of a few seconds. He did this all for himself, only thought of himself. I looked back at Travis’s master and gave him the death look. It was his fault that he made Travis did that; he’s the one that sold him! “Hmm… what punishment should I give them?” I flinched. He said it out loud so that we can hear it. Wait we?

I looked for the others. I couldn’t see them. Where are they? I looked at Travis he tilted his head back, meaning that they were behind us. Ok at least I know there not dead, yet. “Travis, what do you think we should do?” Travis hesitated.

“Hmm… maybe we should give them a warning?” Well thanks Travis, that's why I didn’t….wait did he just say just give us a warning? Okay, he might be trying to apologize, but there's no way just suggesting a warning is going to get him anywhere.

“Why? Everyone who tried to run away got punished. Why should I leave them without punishment?” Travis did answer. “Answer me boy!" Travis thought for a little bit.

“Well because the other ones were adults, they’re kids; they don’t know….any better?” Kids. Well maybe Maalik, Zuri, and Kai; but not me and Safiya. Well at least he’s helping, I guess. But maybe it’s another plan of his to gain my trust and break it again!

“Well that’s the stupidest thing I ever heard!  Jack what do you think we should do?” Jack was a guard, he was African like us. Jack grinned. And looked at us.

“Execution.” I flinched, even more than last time. I felt Travis tense. I complained at what Travis did; look at what Jack wants to do.

“Now that’s an answer I like to hear. But we have lost too many prisoners already; hmm… maybe a few whippings would to the trick.” He grinned. What about Zuri or Kai? They wouldn't be able to take the blow of the whip. It could probably do more than hurt them. I think Travis thought the same thing cause he started to complain.

“What about the little ones, the whip would do more than hurt them…and you know that little ones are more valuable than the older ones.”

“Ahh… yes that’s true. Hmm… what to do? I’ll think of something by tomorrow. Bring the other three up here.” Maalik and Safiya came into view. What have I been thinking, trying to run away? I got us into even more danger instead of preventing it. I saw that Safiya was crying, she probably fells bad for making me ask Travis; to tell you the tZuri I was going to ask him either way. I saw Maalik still trying to struggle, but I knew that he wouldn’t be able to escape and live. Now Maalik and Safiya were right next to the master.

“Travis? I said bring her over here.” Travis hesitated, but then pushed me forward. Well I could have walked. Travis stopped right in front of his master. I looked up at him. He was a tallish man, taller than Travis; he had pale skin with green eyes, with a tint of red (maybe for being so evil), and a square face. He lifted my chin so I could look at him in the eyes. His hands were cold as if the sun had disappeared and the world started to freeze. I shivered by his touch.

“You are a perfect person to work on a farm; you’re strong, brave, and smart. But I guess not smart enough. Too bad I can’t keep you myself. It was a promise I must keep. Well too bad you’re going to have it hard….well maybe.” He grinned. I’m starting to wonder why Travis didn’t want to get away from this guy, he’s a creep. I was more frightened than ever. What did he mean by ‘too bad you’re going to have it hard…’? There’s more danger coming? I stepped back. But then he grabbed my wrist and pulled me away from Travis. It wasn’t like a gentle pull it was a hard one that could break my wrist. Shoot…that hurt. I was now next to him and Travis was staring at us.