Chapter 12: Misleading Kiss

Chapter 12

            I groaned when I felt a bright light trying to ruin my sleep. I opened my eyes slightly just to shut them tightly again. Gah stupid sun! I opened my eyes again, but this time with a little bit more success. But the sun still made my eyes water a little.

            I crawled out from under some crates I stacked up to sleep. Since that I’m a “slave” and according to Master’s plan, I don’t get a room to sleep in like the other men.; which means I have to sleep outside, even in the pouring rain. So when everyone goes to sleep, I just put some crates together and sleep under them.

            Closing my eyes, I stood up and stretched. I smiled when the sun gave my little kisses on my face. I love the sun, especially on the wide-open beach. My heart ached remembering all the good times on the beach. Taking a deep breath, I told myself not to think about it. We are nowhere near land...my homeland.

            When I finally opened my eyes, I was face with total destruction. Since yesterday was that awful storm that I almost died in, not much cleaning occurred since it was quite late. But it didn’t look terrible last night as it does know. I guess that’s what good lighting does.

            Crates were thrown everywhere, some even destroyed. It was a giant mess, and guess who’s going to have to clean it up? I rubbed my face it frustration. Better get a head start.

            I began to start to pick up the pieces of the shatter crates. I had no idea what the other men wanted me to do with it or where to put it, so I just decided to just make a pile and see where it goes from there. None of the other sailors were out at the moment, so it was quiet except for the occasional largish waves that hit the boat.  It seemed like it’ll be a beautiful today, even though it is never a good day on the boat.

            Humming to myself, I put the piece it a giant pile. Ten minutes later, I looked over at what I had done. My head nodded in satisfaction. I was already halfway down with picking up the pieces of wood. It looked a whole lot better than before, but there was still crated turned over, but I didn’t fret over them since some where really heavy; so when everyone wakes up they can move it.

            Not paying attention to what I was doing, I hissed in pain as a slither of wood deeply pierced my finger.  I grounded my teeth together. I hate splinters. They hurt like no other and are impossible to pull out.

            I walked over to the pile and dropped the wood I was holding before trying to pull out the wood in my finger. I cursed as it didn’t want to come out, causing the pain to double. I set my jaw and tried again. I know that if I don’t get it out, it’s going to hurt more later.

            I shook my hand trying to lessen the pain a little. Come on Kami, man up and pull the wood out.

            “Kami, are you ok?” I heard a familiar voice ask behind me.

            “I’m fine. Thanks for asking.” I snapped, not on purpose.

            He sighed, “Give me your hand.”

            “I said I was—”

            “Just give me it.”

            “But Jack—”

            He grabbed my arm and inspected my finding. “It’s easier for someone else to pull the wood out rather than yourself.” There was a quick pain in my finger but quickly subsided. I pulled my hand back to look at my finger.