Chapter 13 part 2

Pushing people, I tried to get to the bars that separate the boys from the girls. Zuri was holding my hand tightly so that she doesn't get lost. All around us people we still crying at the unknown and begging to be let free. But that wasn't going to happen and I think they knew that.

          When I finally found the bars, there were so many people pushing themselves against the bars trying to get to their loved ones.

          "Maalik!" I yelled over the noise. "Are you there Maalik?!" I waited a couple of seconds and didn't hear a reply. I started to worry. I didn't see him when we go on land. Please god, please be Maalik safe.

          "Kami?" I heard a little, defeated voice. I looked up to see Maalik trying to push himself to the bars. I ran up to him and grabbed his arm, pulling him into an awkward hug. He tried to put his arms around me as he cried into my shoulder.

          Maalik never cries if he can help it, and seeing him like this makes me hurt; pain that I couldn't keep my family safe. I begin to sob as I push myself closer to my little brother.

          "Shh... Kami. Everything things is going to be alright." Maalik tried to convince me, even though I knew he was lying through his teeth.

          "No it's not." I continued to sob. "I wasn't strong enough to protect my family."

          Maalik pulled away from me and looked me straight in the eyes. "You did everything you could. Now don't go saying that you are a bad person because you're the opposite. And if you're going to blame yourself about this then I guess it was my fault that I wasn't able to take Zuri to safety."

          I quickly shook my head, "No it wasn't."

          "And it wasn't yours. We're fine at the moment. It was a rough three months or so, but we survived. We will survive this Kami, we will be fine."

          I wiped my tears away from my eyes. "When did you become so mature?" I asked.

          He sighed and looked at me. "Someone has to when you need to let go." I wanted to talk to him more but there was lots of noise going to at the front of the cave. My brother pushed me a little. "Go on and find out. I'll stay here with Zuri. I think me and her have lots to talk about right?" Maalik smiled as Zuri ran up to him and tried to put her arms through the bars and around Maalik.

          I let them go as Zuri started to explain her adventure on the deck. I once again began to weave between people trying to get to the front again. Many people had ended up sitting down now which now it was a little easier to walk through. I made it to the bars at the front of the cage and saw that the cages were surrounded by white men. They were huddled next to each other talking over each other. Suddenly a louder voice over powered them.

          "Sorry folks, but the auction will be taking place tomorrow morning bright and early! Hope to see you all then. But for now you can catch a sneak peak of what's to come if you'd like." Travis old master bellowed. There were some protest but was over looked. A few groups stepped up to the cages and looked inside seeing their soon to be "prize" and would whisper comments to each other, not very audible for me to hear. They would first look at the boys and slowly migrate to the girls. They looked at the kids more than the adults saying how they could train them to be obedient at a young age. Safiya wiggled her way to me, holding onto Kai's little hand.

          "What are they saying?" she asked me picking up her baby sister.

          "About all of us," I said bluntly. I heard two men talking about some numbers. Travis had taught me basic English and I'm not sure if there were saying numbers or something completely different. One fair skinned guy with not so fancy clothing began to mock us—the way we looked, smelled, dressed and talked. Everyone close to erupted into a fit of laughter about everything he said. My fist clenched on the bars as I glared at the men.