5.) Day Seven of the Unorthodox Mystery

Wednesday, October 24

CRASH

The sound resonated throughout the entire room. Everyone turned their head towards the noise. Tyke Williams bent over the fallen cymbal and stopped the noise, trying to cover up his mistake. He did a good job of it too. Mr. Fawsk wasn't even back from getting his donut from the teacher's lounge yet.

It was about an hour before school started and I was spending it with the band geeks. Brendon was over by Tyke trying to help him organize the percussion equipment. Brendon plays trumpet in the band and they always have practice before school on Wednesdays. I usually tag along with him because the sound of all the instruments usually soothes me. Well, to put it simply, not today.

Every single night, I've been having the same dream that I had when that quite scarring message appeared. Samantha screaming at me and Mason duck taping my mouth, but it seems that every day new details are added to the dream. Like how I saw Adrian yelling my name from on top of a cliff and a young lanky man staring at a CT scan.

Another sound vibrated through the room which, I swore, made me jump. It scared me so much that I dropped the book that I was reading for Ms. Rutz's class. Everyone looked behind me and I think I had an idea as to who made the noise.

"TYKE WILLIAMS! IF YOU DROP ANOTHER CYMBAL YOU'RE GOING IN THE TIME OUT CHAIR!!!" boomed the band director, Mr. Fawsk, while holding a powdered donut.

Tyke scrambled to pick up the fallen cymbal and sat down with the rest of the percussionists. Brendon cleaned his black-framed glasses and went back to his instrument case to retrieve some valve oil.

Brendon approached me with a grin that lit up the room. He fumbled with his case. Are there tears in his eyes?

"Doppler!" Brendon jumped. "If you don't hurry it up over there, then you're off the next performance! I don't want another Tyke Williams!"

I chuckled. Brendon closed his case and hurried to his seat.

You see, I've known Tyke since we were in kindergarten and for as long as I can remember everyone has called him Tyke. Before we were in middle school, Tyke always rode to school in a red Little Tikes bike. It was only in our freshmen year when everyone dropped the "little" in his name. How could you when he basically towered above everyone?

When I was about to go back to reading my book, my phone dinged. I looked down and saw that I had multiple text messages from Addison. I read through a couple of them and started to freak out. Oh my gosh. How could I have forgotten again?

I shoved my stuff into my backpack and sprinted for the library. I was running as fast as I could. When I arrived, I was surprised that the library was no longer blocked off. I opened the doors and ran around, making a lot of noise in the process, to find Addison. A few minutes later, I found her huddled up in our favorite corner. I gradually decreased my pace then fell in front of her feet.

"You're late."

Addison continued to read her book, never once looking down at me. "I'm sorry Addison."

"You've forgotten I assume?"

"I'm sorry Addison."

Addison sighed and tugged on her dirty blonde curls. "Oh my gosh, you're HOPELESS Lyric Delton! Why are you my friend again?"

I smiled. "Because I'm a bookworm and you love my corny jokes?"

"They are SO corny." Addison laughed. "Okay, back to business which, by the way, should've started like ten minutes ago but whatever."