Chapter Three: The Choice

I sighed and rolled onto my back. The room seemed to expand with each breath I took, and try as I might, I couldn’t block out the senseless chatter crowding the cramped space.

 To my right, I could hear the Captain speaking with my brother. I didn’t have to look at Davis to know he was frowning. I could feel his eyes on me. Glaring. His lips curved downward as he frowned at the situation currently at hand. I imagined his posture was mean and stiff. Dominate, showing he was the master of the house. And Captain, bless his patriotic heart, sounded cool and fluid, like silk, as he explained the happenings of tonight.

To my left, furthest away from the door, Jolene sat as pretty as a picture. Her dainty little legs were crossed and her hair was fixed in perfect curls as Pietro danced wildly around the room to entertain her. She was laughing, each chuckle detached from the other as she sat flawlessly straight on the couch. I felt my face sink. If it wasn’t for the age difference, I’d bet he’d ask her out in a heartbeat. And now that I thought about, they’d be a smart match. They both had that snarky sense of humor.

“Miss, may I speak to you in private?”

I blinked twice curving my spine to get a better angle of the speaker. I smiled.

“Sure, sweetie. What’s on your mind?” I asked nicely. Captain’s flawless grin made my insides warm. I stretched and tossed my legs off the side of the couch forcing my body into an upright position. I looked at him curiously. “Is something the matter?”

“As I’m sure you know, ma’am, your brother and I had a long discussion about what happened tonight.” I gave a dull nod. He looked down at his hands and sighed. “He thinks it’s better if you stay here with him and his sister, but I have strict orders from S.H.I.E.L.D to bring you back to headquarters with the man we encountered tonight to question you both on any Intel you may have on the Scarlet Killer.”

“I see.” I hummed peering around the man in red, white, and blue. Davis crossed his arms angrily at me. I smiled, the way his face was all scrunched made him look like he had sucked on something sour. He was really, really ticked off. But could I blame him? He’d begged me not to run off. He’d begged me not fight crime. He’d begged me not to get in trouble, and what did I do? I became rebellious for one measly afternoon and clearly it upset him.

“So, miss, I can’t make you do anything you don’t want to do. The decision is yours.”

“Mine?” I murmured. A flyaway hair dangled over my right eye. I swiped it away with my hand and sighed. I’d never had the pleasure of encountering Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, but I’d heard plenty of rumors about him from my friends back in the day. From what I’d gathered from Wolverine, he wasn’t really a force to be messed with. He got what he wanted, when he wanted. He had eyes everywhere. Take it, Wolverine was a conspiracy nut and trusted no one, but I knew better than to take his word half-heartedly. “I’m not buying it.” I huffed.

                “Pardon me, ma’am?” Captain sounded stunned.

“I mean, no disrespect, but I don’t really have a choice in this, do I? I appreciate what you’re trying to do here, but if it’s not too much trouble, my dear sweet Captain, I’d like you to be honest with me from here on out.”

I’d managed to peak Pietro’s interest. He’d stopped talking to Jolene long enough to tune into our conversation. He raced over to Captain’s side faster than the speed of sound and grinned at me. I raked my fingers though my hair nervously. Why was it so shocking I didn’t trust them? Going off Pietro alone I had more than enough reason to at least be weary of the situation. I mean, Pietro kidnapped me for crying out loud!