Safe & Sound: A Marvel Universe Fan-Fic (Avengers & X-Men)

The Inside Scoop: Discovering Marla Anne

 (This is not the actual story)

                Marla Anne wasn’t always “Marla Anne”. For a long time, she was Joanne, a normal teenage girl. She was polite and smart, a mutant hidden in her Anti-mutant home. She gained pleasure from secretly working in her mother’s garden with her “earth-bending” mutant powers. She had one best friend who she found shallow and unforgiving. But then, somewhere along the road, Joanne turned into Helena or “Lena”. The idea behind Lena was quite similar to “Joanne’s” with one slight tweak. Lena had a history. She had a back story and a future. Her sophomore year in high school, everything would change. She’d realize there was a place for her outside her humble little country home, a place where she could be herself. But in order to get there, her whole family would have to die by the hands of a sinister fire-bender.

From Lena, I found “Aiden”. Aiden closely followed the X-men’s “Pyro” character, only he was a bit more hardcore. Picture the most rebellious kid at your school. Dark aviator sunglasses, leather coat, leather boots, mysterious dog tags, and a tight fit white T-shirt along with a vintage Harley motorcycle. That was Aiden. Hot temper to match his hot ego and fire-bending abilities; it seemed fitting to me. But then again, Aiden wasn’t the only one in my story modeled after X-men characters. In fact, Lena’s entire story paralleled the X-men. I’d always been a fan but I feared writing another fanfic. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to capture the “family” aspect of the X-men and the familiarity we all know and love, so I came up with my own story. This little story twirled around in my brain. It poked through all my “fan-girl” moments until I had this epic masterpiece. And then, like many other writers, I figured out my so called “masterpiece” was a piece of poo. Unfortunately, little fifteen year old me had no idea how to write. She had great ideas, especially with Lena, but no idea how to bring them to life. And that’s how Marla Anne came about.

Marla Anne is Lena. She’s got the same back-story and the same general personality as Lena, only she’s a bit older; seven years older to be exact. This “Avengers” story takes place seven years after Marla Anne leaves the X-men to pursue a “normal life”. At this point in time, Marla has moved back in with her long lost brother and found her younger sister. She’s fresh out of college and is helping run an orphanage with her older brother, Davis. Marla still keeps in close contact with Charles and the X-men and from time to time, helps out; but for the most part, she’s independent. If you’re at all interested, please continue reading. Have a sneak peak at the rough copy of my original story (Helena’s story) Innocence Means Nothing When You’re Born This Way.

The Rough Copy: “Innocence Means Nothing When You’re Born This Way” (But not the entire thing because it’s close to 50 pages!) (P.S: The REAL story will be written better so if you can’t make it through this passage, I WON’T be offended. This is for YOUR entertainment. Enjoy!)

My lips press to a fine line fixed upon my face. My feet are lead, refusing to move even though I know I should run. I should hide. I should escape. But I’m so weak. Every bone-every muscle- in my body aches, crying out in pain, telling me that death is at the brink…that death is sure to take my soul.

A piercing scream breaks the barrier of my ears. My world is crumbling, the clouded sky lighting up with bright explosions. Rumbling, the vibrations send me crashing to my knees as another muffled wail is finally silenced. My whole body trembles as I clutch a fist full of mud and blood.

Someone calls my name, it’s a panicked warning, but my mind wanders elsewhere. My heart…I can feel it clamping tight in my chest, twisting my gut in a tight knot. My cheeks turn a feverish red. Blood…blood…blood! It splotches against my skin and cakes to my face knitting my brows close together. Blood. The blood of a fallen soldier…a victim of a hate war.