Chapter One: Part II

I watched as the sun slowly slipped behind the horizon. Pastel pinks and oranges painted the dark blue sky in a frenzy of colors making the scene appear more and more like a portrait as opposed to the still life image it was. I let out a deep breath releasing all of the pint-up negativity building inside of me. It was crazy, almost unheard of, how easy it was for me to become angry lately. I vaguely remembered a time when people could poke and poke at me without so much as fazing me. What happened to that? I shook my head reeling myself back to the earth below. Did it matter? I knew better than anyone that reflecting too much in the past could cause more damage than good.

My bare feet grazed the freshly cut grass. I dug my big toe into the dirt feeling around the minerals and moistness of the earth. I was alone just past the brink of the forest only a few yards away from the city lights. If Davis were here, he’d scold me for being so careless. I exhaled and started walking back towards the city.

Davis had been on my mind since I left home. Try as I might, I just couldn’t shake his damning face from my mind. His image rattled around my brain and refused to give me any kind of peace. I hated to admit it, but a huge part of me really missed working with the X-men. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Davis and my kids, but there was something amazing about being a part of a team. I missed it. I missed the passion and the sense of freedom and liberation I felt when confronting someone about their misguided views. I missed the feeling of using my powers without the fear of being lectured or judged. I missed not hiding myself, my true self, from the people I cared about the most. I really, really loved Davis, but somehow, he kept me from being me.

“Lovely evening, isn’t it?”

I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sound of the smooth British voice. My heart panicked, racing in my chest before it finally cooled back to its normal pace. I turned on my heels coming face to face with a tall muscular man in a fancy pinstriped suit and slender red tie. I arched my back to meet his gaze.

“Seth, you startled me.” I breathed. I watched the smirk spread across his face. A gentle gleam touched his eyes.

“Startled you? And here I thought you were unshakeable.”

He was toying with me. That much was clear. I rolled my eyes. “Unshakeable? Please, I’m only human. And Lord knows I have the reflexes of a dead cat.”

“I swear you have the strangest analogies.” He hummed. He pointed one glossy black shoe in my direction and crouched to my level. The height difference never ceased to amaze me. I felt like a toddler looking up to an adult. “So what brings you to the city this fine night?” He asked. I gave a dull shrug of the shoulders.

“To be completely honest, I wasn’t counting on coming here tonight.” I sighed. “I may or may not have gotten in a fight with my brother and ended up storming off like a two year old.”

“May or may not have?” He chuckled. The sound was hollow and almost eerie, but then again, that’s exactly how Seth was. Something about him just screamed darkness. He was like a wolf in designer sheep’s clothing. Handsome and well dressed, but his aura was dark and misleading. I pushed the thought out of my head and tried focusing on what he was saying. “Come, now, love. We must talk.”

“Seth, I think you’re overreacting. Siblings fight. It’s completely normal. And, look at me, I’m a pike sized adult. I’m bound to have some immature tendencies.” I tried. Truth be told, the last thing I wanted to do was spill my guts to this guy on the streets. I figured underplaying the situation would be the best way to get him off my case. If only I was so lucky.

“I think you’re under reacting.” He hummed. His voice was a soothing lull that I wanted to believe, and for a split second, I let myself get lost in his words. He reached for my hand and tangled his fingers into mine. My body jolted to life. I jerked away. He frowned. “I’m simply trying to help, my dear. It’s clear to see the worry on your face. Won’t you let me help you?”