PROLOGUE

"Miss, I am going to need you to push now!" the doctor shouted.

"Doctor, the baby's heart rate is dropping and the mother is losing consciousness". One of the nurse alerted the doctor before the laboring woman could obey the doctor's command.

The doctor looked at the monitor that was beeping non-stop indicating the distress both mother and child were in. The baby's heart rate was decelerating while the mother's was doing the same. 

"Prepare for emergency C-section stat!!" the doctor ordered. He didn't want to take any chances especially with the picture the monitor was showing.

The nurses and rest of the staff went into immediate action. The respiratory therapist turned his focus on her breathing, making sure she was getting enough oxygen.

The anesthetist administered additional sedatives while the nurses prepared the young woman for an immediate cesarean birth.

All hands were on deck as they all tried to save both mother and child.

They all tried to be as accurate as possible despite the urgency of the situation; patient's safety was always the number one priority.

The doctor gave out orders as he worked meticulously to get the baby out.  Other than his voice, the only noise that surrounded the room was the beeping machine.

The smell of blood and iodine engulfed them. Something else was in the air, something none of them wanted to take notice off.  

DOOM

The smell was potent enough that goose bumps broke out all over the doctor's skin. He knew something tragic was coming.

After less than 30 minutes of intense surgery, the baby was finally pulled out.

'Phew!!!' The relief was evident in the room. The doctor sagged down with relief at the success of the surgery.

Both mother and baby made it.

The baby wailed and was handed to one of the nurses to be cleaned up.

"Good job doc" one of the staff praised. The baby was cleaned up and weighed.

"Apgar score 9". The nurse tending to the child informed the room.

After stitching her back, the doctor praised the staff then instructed the woman to be taken to the recovery room. He washed his hands and left the room but not before making sure the mother's heart beat was stable.

One of the nurses noticed the woman trying to say something, then moved closer to her.

"My baby." the woman whispered hoarsely.

"Oh, no worries. Your baby is doing just fine." the nurse assured her.

"Good" The frail woman uttered defeated.

The machine suddenly started beeping; the noise piercing through the air.

"What's going on?  She is coding!" a distressed voice called out.

"Get the doctor!!" one of the nurses directed at no one in particular

"Code blue, code blue!!" someone else yelled out.

beep... beep... beep...

The nurse immediately started CPR in hopes of saving the dying woman. Her heart rate had dropped dramatically.

"Stay with me, Miss." the nurse begged.

"Move, I have the shock!" Another nurse ordered walking inside the room.

"Everyone clear!!" Snap.

"Anything?" The nurse giving the shock asked the other.

"No." The nurse replied, with distress in her voice.

"Continue with chest compressions." the doctor ordered, entering the room, and getting the epinephrine ready for administration.

beep... beep... beep...

"Clear!!"

snap.

beep... beep...

"Doctor, no pulse!!" the nurse with the paddles alerted the doctor.

beep... beep... beep...

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

"Nooo!!!" The nurse cried. They turned to the monitor at the shrill noise.

She had flat lined.

"Call it." The doctor said to one of the nurses.

"Time of death.. 0724 " The nurse uttered in anguish, looking up at the clock and then lowering her eyes to the dead woman lying on the bed.  

***

"Is there anyone here for her?" The doctor asked looking at the nurse and rest of the staff. They were gathered out in the hallway, each with a saddened look on their faces.

"No." One of them answered. "She was brought in by EMT."

"No emergency contact? Anyone that can claim the body and the child?" The doctor asked again.

The nurse shook her head then added "She was registered here but had no emergency contact on her record. She had just her name."

The doctor wiped his face. Some days he hated his job and this was definitely one of those days. Losing the mother was already very heartbreaking and now this?

He took a deep breath, released it, and said, "Call CPS for the child then."