CHAPTER 28- TORN

He picked up after the second ring

“Hey Ems..”

“Can you come get me please?” Emily returned instead. She sounded choked up from trying to suppress the tears that was threatening to bust out any minute. There was a pregnant pause on the other side of the line. Emily knew he wanted to ask questions but probably didn’t know how to approach her. For a second, she feared he would turn her down but he surprised her instead.

“Will be there in 20 minutes”.

Emily realized a deep breath then thanked him before hanging up. She washed her face then proceeded to change her clothes to dark blue jeans and a grey sweater which she paired with black airwalks. She could hear chattering in the kitchen as she got dressed, her reminder of Cindy and Ash’s betrayal. She still couldn’t believe Cindy had betrayed her like that; she wasn’t at all surprised at Ash’s behavior. She had suspected he would try to get Cindy in bed with him but didn’t fret about it since she believed her friend would not fall for his charm. Besides, Ash had acted like Cindy was beneath him when she introduced them; she remembered him giving Cindy the same look of disgust he had always given her. It turned out he could look past his disgust just to hurt her.

Fifteen minutes later, she received a ping on her phone. She looked down at the message

I’m outside. The text read.

She got off her bed, strengthened her sweater before walking out of the room. She ignored both Ash and Cindy who were still sitting on the kitchen bar chatting away. They both looked up at her when they heard her approached but none of them said anything.

With a heavy heart, she walked out of the penthouse, leaving both Cindy and Ash to their shameless display of affection. A small part of her wanted him to ask her of her whereabouts to show that he care just a little about her. Of course that would never happen. Ash hated her and that was that. Her shock and anger had finally worn off and was now replaced with resignation. She knew her next step was to divorce him so she could move on with her life with someone that deserved her. Someone different from Ash.

Someone like…. Michael.

Speaking of Michael, she noticed a black Lexus parked in the front of the lobby. She didn’t know what car he drove but suspected that would be him. Her suspicion was confirmed when he got out of the car then walked over to the other side as she approached him. He was in a plain black long sleeved shirt and dark jeans.

“Hey” he mumbled softly when she got close to him. She mumbled back a greeting as well as she tried to smile at him. He didn’t comment on the weak smile as he opened the car door for her. He closed the door when she was safely in the car. Emily leaned her head back then closed her eyes.

She felt and heard him enter the car. She could feel him staring at her profile but she closed her eyes shut. She wasn’t ready to talk about it yet.

He must have understood that since the car started moving. Emily opened her eyes then stared out the window at the monstrosity Ash called home. As they drove past the building, she craned her neck trying to get a view of the top floor; she wondered what they were doing at the moment. Were they f**king on the kitchen bar?

Leaning her head on the window, she closed her eyes again submitting herself to whatever plans Michael had for her.

After minutes of driving, the car finally came to a stop. Emily opened her eyes to find that they had stopped in what looked like a garage. She looked around trying to figure out where they were.

“We are at my place” Michael volunteered. She relaxed again then nodded. She opened her door when he opened his. He was there in a flash to help her out of the car. They walked silently from the garage to the elevator. His place was too similar to that of Ash’s. Not like she expected anything less, after all Michael was in the league as Ash.