Chapter 8

Turns out the valley wasn't as good of a place to chose a territory in after all. Everything was here, that was true. Elk that grazed in the valleys were the perfect source of food, streams ran throughout the land along with a large river to provide sufficient water. The cliff was a lookout for enemy packs, and a barrier from harsh winds coming in from the other lands. The valley had everything. Except for a good place to den.

With a groan I pull myself onto a rock amongst the cliffside, being extremely careful not to graze my belly in the slightest. I would never forgive myself if the pups from both Namda and Lamda died within the womb before they were welcomed into the living world.

"Merda, I keep telling you to ask me for help!" Namda frowns as I appear at his side with my own strength.

"And I keep telling you I don't need it." With a soft smile, I lick the side of his rough muzzle. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." I press myself against his side, looking down at the grassy plain. It's a beautiful space, and I couldn't ask for more. I find myself enjoying the scenery, at least until the billowing stems and forest are cut off by what we call the Black Gap. The smooth line cuts through everything and what it goes over never grows back. Often, carcasses end up littering it's surface. Every creature to ever live is terrified of it except for the humans. They were the ones who made it tear through the land.

Namda follows my gaze, his eyebrows furrowing upwards as his eyes land on the Black Gap. "I don't know about this, Merda. I know how much you love this valley but," he trails off, looking at me for permission to continue. I nod. As soon as I give him permission, he opens his mouth. "I don't know if this is safe. I'm worried for you, I'm worried for Lamda." He presses his check against mine and I bask in his warmth. "I'm worried about our kids."

At that last bit, I glance at my swollen stomach. It's almost spring and I still haven't started on a den. At this rate, spring might come before I have a den big enough to fit six pups.

"Merda, I know you're considering something. You've been hanging around the Black Gap for a couple days now. I'm not a stranger anymore, I'm your mate." Namda's voice is light, but I can tell his pride has been hurt. Without meaning to, I was avoiding telling him about my plan. I'm afraid he won't have a good reaction, I realize. I'm scared that maybe he'll make me leave this valley, this place I've called home for years. This place I promised to Ruan I would get.

Yet, he speaks the truth. Namda is my mate, so is Lamda. I shouldn't hide things from them. With a long sigh, I pull away from him. "You are my mate, you're right. I'm sorry."

He gives me a smile, wagging the tip of his tail slightly. When he sees that I've noticed his joy, he nods for me to continue.

"I've been considering, well, there's a little area I've found." My eyes fly to an area not seen through the trees. Even though I can't see it, I know it's there since I've been scouting it out. "There's an old tree, one with strong roots that would hold the ground together if I were to dig there. It's perfect, I've checked all around. Eagles can't get to it because the sky is full of branches, but the best part is foxes and bears won't either."

At this, Namda's eyes widen. "Foxes and bears can't get to it? But branches don't scare them away! Foxes can easily slip through undergrowth, and bears can claw things out of their way."

I don't meet his eyes, and instead watch the quiet Black Scar. "You're right. But both foxes and bears are terrified of the Black Scar."

I feel teeth on the scruff of my neck and turn at the sudden bite. Namda pulls away, his ears peeled back. "You can't be serious, Merda." Quickly he glances at the Black Scar then back to me, shaking his head. "I knew you were different, but that's not different that's insane! Denning by the Black Scar? We already have enough attention from those humans as it is with this thing!" Namda's nose scrunches in disgust as he looks down at the large device around his neck. He had survived the humans' small darts and prodding but not without a price.

I feel a pang in my stomach and let out yelp of alarm as I fall to my knees. Namda is by my side instantly, helping lift my snout up using his as a prop. I shake him off, closing my eyes as the pain subsides. "Namda, we don't have time to look anywhere else. The scar can't hurt us unless we're on it, I'm sure. The humans who surround it will do no harm, they'll just stand there with their black boxes like they always do."

Namda whines into my fur, pleading me not to den next to the scar. I look away from him. My eyes are instantly met with the lush valley that's alive with creatures and noises even though it's not yet the height of life. I'm sorry Namda, I apologize to him in my thoughts, but I need this. Our kids need this. We'll be safe here, I promise. So trust me because I know if you do we can get through this and start a pack this land has never seen. Together.