Chapter 16: Explain

Well I probably left a few of you crying after I posted Chapter 15. Or maybe not. I know I was crying. But that's only because I get too attached to characters. *le sigh*

Anywho. This chapter is hopefully going to be a bit brighter. And after this chapter, I only have a slight idea on where this book is heading. So that means I am open for suggestions. (Suggestions meaning specific monsters, settings, characters, episodes, etc.) Yes, I do have a general idea of where this is all going but it's not the most...how can I put this...well developed idea ever. So please, POST IN THE COMMENTS ON WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE! If you come up with a really brilliant idea, I will use it and dedicate the chapter to you. If not, I'm going with my original plan. Cheers!

Enjoy. :D

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 16:

Explain

We had returned the TARDIS after a long, rainy walk back to the farm. We hadn't said a single word to each other the whole way there. Whether it was because we were filled with too much sorrow, or we simply didn't have anything left to say, I will never know. All I know was that it was a tedious and never-ending walk, not to mention we were both completely soaked.

Now, as I sat airdrying in the pilot's seat of the TARDIS, I had finally found some words to say. "I told you I would explain later, didn't I?" I asked silently, but loud enough to be heard over the low hum of the time machine's engines. "Back in the woods. I told you I would explain how I got the Angel out of Jamie's mind, I mean." I cringed at my own mention of his name. Of course I was certainly still in shock, but that didn't mean that thinking of him wasn't hurting me.

The Doctor said nothing for a while. He just stood motionless with both hands pressed against the smooth metal of the machine's console. His silence put me on edge, especially since I hadn't the foggiest idea of what he was thinking. He turned away from the controls with a long deep breath in. As he exhaled, he looked over my dripping body as I sat in the pilot's seat.

"Yes, you did say that. And since then, I've been trying to figure you out, Echo Atkinson." he said, exaggerating the pronunciation of my name a little too much.

"But you haven't figured me out yet, correct?" I asked, shivering a little in my wet clothes. The Doctor had wrapped his trench coat around my shoulders on the long hike back, but it unfortunately didn't provide much more heat or protection. The cold of the rain was just starting to seep into my skin now, like I had feared earlier.

"Well," he began, pulling at his earlobe. "I've got a pretty good idea." I wrapped my arms around myself for more warmth.

"Go on." I said, leaning forward in my chair.

The Doctor shoved his hands deep in his trouser pockets and took a deep breath before delving into his inevitable investigation. "Echo Atkinson. Twenty-five years old. Female. Earth-inhabiter. Single and never married. Possibly orphaned. Possibly human. And even more possibly...psychic."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Not bad," I commented. "I don't know how you suspected I was an orphan, but you're right."

"Oh, that was the easiest one to figure out. You never once mentioned family. You sold a house at age eighteen. There might even be things I overlooked that told me you were an orphan," the Doctor said. "Now the psychic part...that has a big 'probable' written all over it. What are you? What are you really? You look like a typical human to me. But what's behind all that flesh and bone?"

"And you look pretty human to me, but that's obviously not the case," I remarked. I sat back into the chair and let out a heavy sigh. "Listen, all I know is that I feel human. I can read minds. I can see auras. Apparently I can kill Weeping Angels too. But I feel human. Isn't that enough?"