I'm Sorry Dad

"No." I said firmly. "No way."  He was crazy. Insane. He was joking. I was working for a psycho. No one was that cold hearted. I held my breath without even realizing it, waiting for a response. I knew that he had to be heartless. He ordered the death of plenty of countless people, I was sure. But there was no way he would make me kill my own father.

  "You don't really have a choice." Samuel didn't even bother to look at me. He had opened up his laptop and was typing away. He had no problem telling me to kill my dad. At all. This man wasn't human. He was worse than a monster. He probably would kill his own children. 

  "I won't kill my dad. You can't make me." I folded my arms. I felt this close to crying, but I sure wasn't going to let this jerk have the pleasure of seeing that. Deep down I knew he could make me. He had already blackmailed me into working for him. 

  "No, I can't make you. But if you don't kill him, someone else will. And most of my agents like to play with their food before they eat it. Just so you know. You have a choice. End your dad's life quickly and you and Agent Downs can both live happily ever after. Heck, I'll even keep a blind eye on your illegal little relationship. But you can also let your dad live another day, so he can be tortured by my agents while you watch, knowing you'll be next. I've trained them well. They won't listen to your screams for mercy. They won't care that you're only seventeen." Samuel slammed his laptop shut. "Choose. Him or you."

  I had no choice. I knew Ted would understand. he would give his life for me any day. He had planned this trip knowing he might not come home, knowing that he might die here at the hands of Monster Fighters. Even I had suspected that he was going to be finished off soon. He knew too much for them to let him live.

 I just never thought in a million years that I would find even one member of my family still alive. I couldn't believe that I would find my father, and actually grow to care about him. I couldn't believe that I would grow to have a family again. And now I would be the one to end a family member's life. Not just any family member, my dad's life. I would have no one left after this, except for Matt. I wouldn't even have the Matt I knew now. I would have a Matt who could kill without caring, murder for money. He would probably even be taught to now care about me.

   "When?" I asked. 

  "Today. Don't bother to draw it out. It will be better for both of you. You will get used to this. It's always hard the first time." Samuel was ruffling through his desk. His words were meant to be comforting, but they just made me more angry. I saw red. He would pay for this. 

  "Give me a gun." I said harshly. He pulled two out of a desk drawer. Who kept guns in their desk? This man was dangerous. I should have been afraid of him, but all I could feel was hate. I was irrational right now.

  I was handed a small black pistol. Matt was given another similar one. The weight felt unfamiliar in my hand. I looked down on the gleaming metal, bile rising in my throat. I was going to kill my father with this gun. I stuck in inside my belt, and tried to forget about it. Yeah right. "It's loaded. Kara will take the shot, but if she fails, Matt will finish it. No excuses. Your director will be dead before tomorrow. Understand?" 

  "Yes sir." I tried to put as much hate into those two words as possible. It still wasn't enough. I stood, knocking over the chair. He could fix it. I would have torn up his office if I thought I could get away with it."I won't forget this." Matt grabbed my arm before I could say anything else. He always was the smart one. I would have to learn to keep my temper in check like he could. Otherwise I would be dead in a week. 

    "It has to be done. Once you've completed your task you will receive your I.D. cards and all the other information you will need. I expect to see you tomorrow at the front steps, 8:00 sharp. Don't fail me." Samuel offered his hand to us, but I didn't take it. There was no way I would ever shake the hand of a cold blooded killer. "You have guts, I'll give you that much. In a month you're going to be just like me, Agent Night. I hope you get used to that fact quickly."