Training Time!

Four thirty came quickly the next morning. I groaned inwardly. Ok, so that early morning training idea was stupid.

I met Matt at the track half an hour later, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. I dress very casually for my workouts.

He was, predictably, late. "Way to go. You're five minutes late. That means twenty extra push-ups." I told him.

He could barely keep his eyes open. I suspected he had woken up five minutes earlier. "You're kidding, please tell me you're not going to be one of those stupid coaches. Who yells and makes you do stuff they would never do."

I smiled. "Four laps, I'll run with you. Let's go."

He shook his head. "Really Kara..."

"Move it." I started jogging. He would catch up.

We moved through a mile jog, twenty five push-ups, and fifty sit-ups. Then lunges. And then we did it all again. And again. It was difficult...ok, it was awful. I was seriously out of shape. Matt was too. There was a humongous amount of whining coming from his mouth.

An hour later we were both hot, sweaty and frustrated with each other. I was going to be severely sore tomorrow.

Matt was shooting daggers at me. If looks could kill...I would be six feet under already. "Are we done yet?"

"It's not my fault that your little basketball training isn't anything compared to the real world." I snapped.

"You know, you're a lot nicer when you aren't pretending to be a tough monster fighter." He told me. "I'm going home to shower."

He left me without another word. I guess guys don't like it when you show you're tougher than them. Or a better runner.

I had to go home to shower also. Today was harder than I thought it would be. And, soccer practice was after school. Great. I was going to be killing myself tomorrow.

********************************************

After a quick shower, I got ready for school. Cranking up the radio as soon as I got in the car, I pulled

out.

I started singing to the next song on the radio. I'm not actually that bad of a singer...ok, I'm terrible. I just can't get all those pesky notes right.

I glanced in the rearview mirror and noticed a black car right on my tail. Honestly, give me some room! It wasn't like I was going slow. I was actually speeding a tiny bit. I pressed slowly on the gas to make the car go away. It didn't work. The car sped up with me.

Now I was starting to get worried. Maybe it was that creepy phone call, but I was getting paranoid. We were on a crowded road, so I was pretty sure that the car wasn't going to try and run me off or anything.

They were probably just in a hurry to get somewhere.

Then I felt a bump. Sure it was little, but I felt it. Checking the mirror again I saw the car was really close to me. I stepped on the gas again. Where were all the police officers when you needed them?

Another harder bump. This time I had to swerve to keep control. The car shuddered . as the car rammed into me again. This wasn't good. We were approaching a sharp corner up ahead. It was nicknamed "Dead Man's Curve" for a reason. I had to get off the road before the turn.

I yanked the wheel to the right, hoping I could end up somewhere other than a tree. A couple jarring potholes later, I was awkwardly positioned on the side of the road, watching the other car speed by.

Predictably, there were no plates.

I took in a deep breath. Whoever had made that call meant business. I just hoped I could figure out who before the business turned deadly. For me.

Author's Note

Hello all the amazing people who are reading this! I was jut wondering if you could take a few seconds to give me some feedback. Or vote. Thanks a million times for reading. I love you all!