24

Ashton's POV

Americans go bat shit crazy when Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Karen is making her Thanksgiving dinner tonight instead of tomorrow so that we can all celebrate together. Since I'll be at Luke's and Michael and his mother are going to his grandmothers who lives just outside of town. It was nice that Karen was making a special dinner just so we could all have a holiday together, it made me feel, well... Special.

What wasn't so nice is that she sent us out to buy last minute groceries on the day before a holiday. Michael barely found a parking spot and I nearly had to wrestle an old lady for walnuts. The store was crazy as hell. The hustle and bustle of the holiday was intense and I wanted to grab the few things we needed and get the hell out of there.

We were in the middle of the frozen vegetable isle weaving in and out of people when a familiar face in front of me nearly stopped my heart. Her blonde hair, and blue eyes were undeniable; my mother. I froze on the spot and she started moving towards me with a smile on her face. Michael looked over to me with a questioning look but I couldn't make my feet move.

"Ashton my baby." Her sweet voice called out and her small arms wrapped around me but I just couldn't make mine hug her back. I was so angry at my mum. She apparently got the hint because her arms finally released me.

"Hey mum." I choked out and she reached up to push some hair off my forehead but I pulled away from her touch.

"What are you boys up to? How've you been Ashy?" She asked and my blood was boiling now.

"We are picking things up for Karen, you know the lady that has taken over your job as my mum!" I yelled earning a few stares from people around us.

"Well bless her because heaven knows that's a hard enough job you ungrateful brat!" She spat back.

"At least she loves me like you never did." My eyes were beginning to sting but I refused to cry in the middle of this situation.

"Ashton you are impossible to love, can't you see that?" She said with an evil laugh. Everything within me tensed up and I just wanted away from her. I turned around without looking back and led Michael through the checkout line.

He was silent the entire ride home but once he put the car in park I knew he had a few things to say.

"She's wrong you know?" He said and I shook my head. He's my best friend isn't he supposed to take my side.

"I'm not sure that she is though. I'm such a fuck up Mikey." I sighed and ran my hand over my face.

"No Ashton you aren't." He said sternly and glanced over to me like he meant business.

"I am." I said and the tears were welling up again.

"You know what? As far as I'm concerned she's not even your mother anymore Ashton. And she is wrong because I love you, my mom loves you and I'm pretty sure in time Luke is going to love you too." He said, raising his voice to get his point across. What he said made sense.

"I love you too Mikey." I smiled and he rolled his eyes at me, climbing out of the car. We grabbed the bags from the trunk and made our way through the front door and into the kitchen. Something already smelt amazing.

"Hey boys! How was the store?" Karen asked from the stove and Michael and I looked at each other to determine whether we should tell Karen who we ran into while picking up groceries. I gave Michael a look of dismissal and he decided to drop it.

"It was freaking insane." Michael said and grabbed a carrot from the counter.

"I bet so. Well dinner should be about another hour so I'll call you boys in when it's done." She smiled up and us and we took off to the living room to watch a movie.