Mother Figure

Yasmine

I hate heels, I've always hated heels, they make my feet hurt really bad. I wiggle my feet looking at them in the front seat of my car as my heart was beating out my chest, want to know something else I hate? waiting.. i've always been very impatient. I'm even more anxious when this waiting is going to be the result of my life from this day forward. 

You see, I have siblings. two, their names are Jasmine and Jashaun my whole world, when Jasmine was only one I left her and my newborn brother with my shit of a mother promising that i'd get myself together, get a nice home for us and come back for them, although I was very desperate to do so I found a way, now living in Brooklyn New York in a beautiful spacious condo and driving my own up to date Nissan, knowing I can take on this roll as their legal guardian and have full custody of them is all i've ever wanted. They didn't deserve the life they've had for the past 4 years and I will make up for it. All the money I have sent my mom spent on her bad drug habits, I used to sneak to their babysitter to give them food and new clothes since my mother out of bitterness restricted me from seeing them. The bitch is a witch and facing her today in court is going to drive her crazy and I can't wait. 

I jump as my lawyer knocks on the window waving for me to get out, it's time. 

''ugh my feet Nancy'' ''I swear i have never dealt with someone who hates wearing heels.'' ''they're so irritating'' The judge walks in and everyone stands. The tension in this room you can seriously cut with a knife, my mom has been eyeing me the whole time dressed in her run me down pants suit and bags under her eyes, she looked high. ''bring the kids in here please, you may be seated.'' Nerves, my nerves are bad what if this ordeal goes completely wrong and they put them in a foster home. What if i'm not fit to be with my own blood? 

''In all my years of being a judge I haven't seen such sadness in a courtroom, a mother who couldn't even come sober to the court hearing, kids bruises are visible, they're hungry and dirty, and the oldest daughter can't even look at the mother without being disgusted. I am appalled, as a mother I would never put my children through such an ordeal,  per request the plaintiff asked if her last name could be erased and full custody of her siblings am i correct?'' ''yes your honor''  my mom stood up livid out of her mind ''you can't take my kids away from me, i'm their mother! i'm your mother Yasmine!'' I held my composure not looking at her ''you ungrateful little bitch!'' ''settle down Ms. James before I get you held in contempt.'' she sits down shaking I know she's about to cry but at this very moment I am rejoicing. ''I approve of the last name being dropped and due to the mothers current state and due to the social services examination of your home, the children are better off with their sister, who home is clean, she's clean and in great mental state and health, Yasmine gets full custody of her siblings and a restraining order put on Yanna James . Case Closed'' I jump up ''YES!'' I hug Nancy in joy, I couldn't even contain my happiness at this moment. I watched as she storms out the courtroom snatching away from security ''get your hands off me pig! my boyfriend would beat your ass! that ungrateful heifer!'' she pushes the door open and walks out yelling. I turn to the kids who are smiling at me I open my arms for them to run to me and they did. Holding them finally filled my heart with so much joy. Together at last and forever. 

After shopping for hours with the kids for stuff they'd like to eat in the house, stuff to compliment their room, the toys, more clothes it was time for bed being as though they had daycare in the morning. ''come on Ja'' I gave both of them well deserved warm baths and dinner for the night, after dressing Jashaun, Jasmine did everything on her own only left was her hair. ''ponytail or bun?'' ''ponytail'' she says tiredly, Jasmine looks exactly like me when I was her age, big brown eyes with a twinkle of yellow, curly hair since her father is a papi just like mine was or has papi in him, caramel honey skin and the cutest baby face. I'm just the older version, with a whole lot of body. ''is your body feeling better Jas?'' she nods yes ''are you happy to be here?'' ''yes.. '' I finish her ponytail looking right at Ja who's fast asleep. ''here's your scarf get yourself in bed big girl'' she crawls into her bed not getting under the covers and holds her favorite stuffed animal that I bought her close to her. She looked scared, she looked uncomfortable which made me bend down on the floor and grab her hand ''what's wrong?'' ''is mommy and and and daddy coming back for us?'' ''no honey, you're with me now'' ''you promise?'' I kissed her forehead ''i promise, it's us 3 forever, now come on time for bed'' ''you're coming to get us tomorrow?'' ''ill be there when you wake up, drop you off, pick you up and we will go have dinner and repeat, i'm never leaving you guys I promise.'' she finally lays down and holds the bear close to her and snuggles up into the blanket turning their night light on I sit on the side of her bed ''i'll sit here until you go to sleep'' little did I know how tired I was myself, feeling my eyes get heavy I soon fell asleep with Jasmine.