CHAPTER ☾6☽ the first offering

CHAPTER 6☽ the first offering

. • . ☆ . • .
C A G E

"So you found yourself a Rhea, huh? And then you were just going to kill Fletcher and leave the rest of us behind. You know, Greyshore is not the only pack that has been banned from the mating season. What about us?"

It was nearing two in the morning but I was still awake. I walked the hall towards my wing now that arguments were settled. I knew Ekon from Erebus and we had been acquaintances ever since our escape. I also knew that he could make things extremely difficult for me if he didn't get a piece of the deal.

"We still have a connection between us and Sanctuary. They think she's a hostage and I promise you they'll do what it takes to keep my Rhea out of harm's way. Maybe they'll even be willing to negotiate."

I passed her door, hearing nothing and assuming that she probably was asleep. I hoped that Cassius had gotten over his pride and shown kindness towards her. He had a hard understanding how I was testing his abilities and, right now, he was too cocky and that had to change if I was going to let him anywhere near my deals.

"I don't understand why we don't just plan an attack. If we joined forces then it would be easy to infiltrate and take all the Rhea's that we like."

Even though I probably should've wanted to sleep, there was still something eating at me, and I usually cleared my head by shifting. Shifting took a lot of energy but it got my endorphins going and left me feeling rejuvenated. I decided to return to my room, strip out of the suit I've been wearing for way too long, and go out for a run.

"We can't lose them even more than we already have. I promise that I will get the council talking and we will promise peace in return for Rhea's."

I opened the door to my room which was almost pitch black but I knew it well enough and had sharp enough senses to navigate it easily. I kicked off my shoes, had already lost my suit jacket, and was in the middle of unbuttoning my dress shirt when I stopped. Immediately, I knew something was off in the atmosphere as soon as I took in the scent of another wolf. It wasn't unfamiliar but this was a part of the house that I didn't allow any other person to step in.

I found the lamp beside my bed and flicked it on. "Fucking hell," I was startled, of course, because there was another person in my bed and because that person was Dove. She was cuddled into the sheets of my bed and had herself nestled into my pillows.

I didn't react for a second, unsure of my next moves, and watched her turn on her side, still fast asleep. She moved her arms above the covers, resting her hands beneath her head. That's when I realized she had no top on and only the goddess knows what else she chose to leave off when she crawled into my bed.

The bed dipped beneath me as I sat down beside her, causing her eyes to flutter a little as it adjusted to the new light in the room. "Dove," I spoke hesitantly, watching her slowly awaken from her sleep. I rubbed the sleep from my own eyes, trying to focus on her and understanding her motives. "Care to explain what you're doing in my bed."

"Did I fall asleep?" She placed her palm against her forehead, her eyes finding mine. I nodded and she let out a huff of air. "I'm sorry, Mr, Maddox. I was waiting for you and I . . . I tried to stay up." She sat up in her place and I quickly answered the question of what she had on underneath the covers. Absolutely nothing. She smiled at me despite my obvious look of exhaustion and confusion. "But I'm ready now."

"Ready for what?" I continued, taking the opportunity to pull the covers up to her body for her. She held them against her, covering up her chest.