One Step Forward

It was Wednesday and everyone knew too well what that meant. Club day.

As Craig walked into school, he automatically gravitated towards the Cincos Amigos. People like Lawrence and Daniel seemed like they weren’t really looking forward to what this day had to offer, but Khan and Jesse’s expression said otherwise.

“Hey everyone,” Craig said as he walked up to the group and inserted himself into the tight circle. “How’s everyone doing today?”

“Why do you look so chirpy today?” Lawrence grumbled.

“Uh, it’s a great day, isn’t it?”

“Um no,” Daniel interjected. “I’m not really looking forward to ‘fashion’ as they call it.” He said, making quotation marks in the air with his fingers, like bunny ears.

“Hmm you never know, you might start to enjoy it.” Jesse stated as he popped his lollipop back into his mouth. Craig could tell it was grape flavour today by the violet colour that stained his lips.

“Only because you’re in a club that you actually enjoy…” He trailed off, pursing his lips.

“Alright guys, I think that’s enough complaining.” Lawrence snapped as he pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation.

“What’s the matter with you?” Craig inquired, out of the group, Craig was the one that was the least, maybe not at all, scared of big scary Lawrence.

Rather than responding with words, Lawrence just groaned and shrugged Craig’s question off. Lawrence seemed grateful when the bell had gone just after, as he was the first one to move off towards the destination of his club.

Daniel came up to Craig as soon as Lawrence was out of ear shot. “Don’t worry about him, he has his off days and today seems like one of them.”

“He always seems to be having off days.” Craig muttered. “Where’s your fashion class?”

“Um C block.”

“Okay, I’ll walk you.”

Craig wasn’t too interested in the others, only Daniel, and so just ignored them as they began their two minute walk. “So why does Lawrence seem so pissed off these days?” Craig began to which Daniel shot him a frown. It was probably because of his language. “Sorry, but you know what I mean.”

“I’m not sure what the root of his crankiness is, but it seems to be because of that new person.”

“You mean Kabir?”

“Yes, that one.”

“What difference does his presence make?”

“I don’t know, but when Lawrence gets a bad vibe from someone it’s impossible to change his mind.”

Craig sucked in some air, “Amen.” He whispered.

“What did you say?”

“Oh, um nothing.” Craig nervously smiled as he began parting ways with Daniel. “Well have fun. Bye.”

“See you.” Daniel sighed as he walked towards the classroom.

Craig made his way towards the field, as he figured that’s where they’d be doing archery again. He knew he was in the right place as he saw his fellow club members setting up the targets. However when he got closer, he felt something was off.

The only person he could identify was Jason, who had changed into a short sleeve shirt showing off his bulging muscles. There was also another guy, one who seemed too old for school. He literally was too old to even be near this place. From the distance, it looked like a man to be anywhere from his late 50s to mid-60s.