Club Signing Day

Club Signing Day

The next day was club signing day. Every year West Auckland Grammar School held a club signing day. This is because in West Auckland Grammar School they had clubs. There were various forms of clubs created by students based upon what they were interested in. This way all students enjoyed what they were doing and it was a way for everyone to participate. Usually a day in a week was dedicated to the student’s chosen club.

Instead of having classes today, the day was for choosing or signing up to a club and being introduced to fellow club members and sort out their goals and things. In the morning all the students had to go to their homegroups to find out the plan for the day.

Kabir had never seen anything like this before. He quite liked the idea of having different clubs and was looking forward to seeing what was offered. “Okay class, today is club signing day,” his homegroup teacher, Mr Dixon started. “After the bell goes, all of you will be let out and you have to choose a club and put your name down. Afterwards, you will spend the day with your club, learning the ins and outs. Any questions?” Short and simple was the way Mr Dixon liked things.

A boy raised his hands, Kabir wasn’t sure what his name was. “Yes, Jack?” Mr Dixon asked.

“Is it compulsory?” Jack inquired.

It seemed like Mr Dixon had rolled his eyes before replying. “Yes, Jack. You’ve been here for the past five years. I think you would know this by now.”

“Sorry, just thought I should ask.” He shrugged, then laughed about it with the people around him.

Shortly after, the bell to be dismissed rang. All the students filed out and regrouped on the field, where all around them various stalls of different kinds were set up on the sides. There was too many to count or see because of so many students.

Out of all the students, the first ones Kabir laid eyes on was them. The Cincos Amigos strutted around by each stall scaring the other students off. He was glad they hadn’t seen him and made his way to the nearest stall, away from them.

Kabir had made it to about half of the stalls, yet he didn’t find one that he was truly interested in. There was a dance one which he considered, but he felt taking the option was enough. There was also things like drama, various types of sports, engineering, fashion, school news, computer, writing, reading and many more but there was nothing which made Kabir take it up straight away. So he just kept on looking till he found ‘the one’.

The club was held by someone he hadn’t seen before, but he had only been at school for three days. Kabir signed up straight away. He had just finished signing his name when his sign up form was yanked out from under his hand.

“Ooh let’s see what we have here?” The voice that he knew so well said. Kabir knew who he was going to see when he turned around, and he was right, it was him. “Archery aye?”

“Er…uh…yeah.” He was caught off guard and was a little embarrassed too.

“Are you like a professional?” He gazed at him from the top of the paper, his green eyes entrancing Kabir.

“Well I wouldn’t say professional. But I’ve done it before.” Although Kabir knew he should be mad at the boy after yesterday, he couldn’t help but forgive and forget.

“Oh cool. Then you can show me the ropes.” He said as he too picked up a sign up form and began filling it out.

“You’re joining?” Kabir wasn’t sure how he felt about this.

“Yeah sure, why not. It’s always good to try new things.” He flashed his fake yet charming smile. He gave in his paper along with Kabir’s. “Here you go Jason.”