Chapter 41- Oh Brother

"Patrick, Nanna is dead. Don't lie to me and pretend you don't know." she said. Patrick blinked at her and frowned in confusion.

"She went to get groceries. She should be back soon." he said with a frustrated groan. She looked to Alistar who was still grinning. 

"What did you do?" she asked. Alistar took a step into the room and snapped his fingers. Patrick's head fell to the pillow. Alexa stooped to check on him but stopped when loud snores erupted from him. 

"Hypnosis may be one of the most basic magics but it is still quite useful. Your brother doesn't even know your grandmother is gone. He doesn't remember anything about me that I don't want him to." he said. Alexa shook Patrick but he didn't even stir. She glared back at Alistar. He was still grinning as he snapped his fingers again. Patrick lifted his head and shrugged at the two of them before returning to his video game. Alistar frowned, obviously displeased with Patrick's dismissal. He snapped his fingers again and Patrick's head flopped back to the pillow like a rag doll.

"You will not disrespect me. You will follow every command I give. when I am present your focus will be on me." He ordered before snapping his fingers again. Patrick's head raised from the pillow and this time he ignored the game left on the bed and stared at Alistar. Alexa glanced at her uncle.

"So you plan on turning us into familiar and slaves too?" she asked. Alistar smiled.

"No, I wouldn't want to tax my own magic so much. But hypnotism doesn't take nearly as much mana." He said. Alexa glanced back at her brother. He was still staring at Alistar with a dopey look on his face. She turned back to glare at Alistar wondering how she would break this spell. She caught movement out the window and could see Kaleth and Pitch fighting. Alistar grinned.

"Order the cat to follow my orders and I will allow him to live." he said. Like she would ever consider that bargain. What kind of heartless soul would turn their familiar over to the psychopath who had brutally ended their human life. Was Jacob's death murder? Things wold have ended a lot differently and human Jacob would still be alive if Alistar hadn't gotten his claws on him. She knew Pitch would rather die than be trapped in Alistar's control again. She jumped with a start when she felt her eyes drooping. Alistar was chanting and frowned when she locked eyes with him. 

"So you aren't going to come easily are you?" he asked. Alexa ws torn. She wanted to escape this room with Alistar. But she couldn't leave Patrick here alone with him. Alistar gestured to her brother's dazed face.

"He put up a bit of a fight too. Must be strength in our bloodlines but he did eventually give in to me. Just like you will." he said. Patrick was still fully focused on Alistar like a planet revolving around the sun. Except Alexa considered Alistar more of a black hole.she slapped her brother's cheek in hopes of breaking Alistar's spell. Patrick never even noticed. Alistar laughed.

"He's in too deep to be pulled out now. He can't break the hypnosis anymore than a familiar can disobey a direct order from their master." he said. It was Alexa's turn to smirk.

"Pitch did." she said. Alistar scowled for a moment before shrugging as if it didn't particularily matter.

"The cat managed to form a stronger bond to you and your magic than he had to me. The few bindings I bother setting him didn't need to be very strong to control a house cat. I never allowed him to absorb any more of my magic than absolutely necessary. I had far more important uses. So i guess he absorbed more of your magic in the past few moths than I allowed him in forty years. That would be why he is bonded closer to you now. He isn't nearly as valuable of a servant as the dragon though." he said. He smiled as he mentioned Kaleth. Alexa frown. She hadn't let Kaleth get as close as pitch. if she had spent more time with Kaleth would Alistar have been able to take him away. She remembered all the times pitch had rubbed against her and invaded her personal bubble. Was that why he was able to break free. Kaleth wasn't really the cuddling type. Was it because he hadn't want his bond to her to grow stronger. He he known or hoped that Alistar would return. She shook her head. He liked living with her. She'd seen him hoping she could break Alistar's hold over him. She had to find a way to do that. 

She startled when she heard a very sweet voice whispering inside her head. 

"Hand the cat over to your uncle. He has more uses for both familiars than you ever will." it hissed. It was true she didn't really need the familiars. She had to fight through the fog to open her eyes. It took her longer than it should have to refocus her eyes on her brother. She glanced over to see Alistar smirking

"Almost had you there." He said. Alistar grinned and beckoned for her brother to follow him from the room. He didn't seem terribly worried about her escaping. She hoped it was just overconfidence. She didn't want to think about the other options. She followed him outside so they could see Pitch and Kaleth fighting. Alexa was surprised to see that neither one had taken much damage. Kaleth couldn't seem to catch up to Pitch with his fire and pitch was either too inexperienced with swords to use them effectively or he had been holding back, not wanting to hurt Kaleth. Shadow engulfed him once more and Kaleth let out a frustrated snarl. He glanced over to Alistar who beckoned him closer. Once he was closer to Alexa Pitch appeared obviously not trusting her safety wth either one of them. 

He gave a snarl as he stepped in front of her. Kaleth snarled back and alistar held up his hand to motion Kaleth back to his side. He Leaned closer to Kaleth.

"You didn't kill the cat." he said quietly. Kaleth ducked his head in submission.

"I wasn't able to master. Give me more time and I will." he said. Alistar sneered.

"You had plenty of time to end it." he said. Kaleth flinched and Alistar grinned to himself.

"Leave him alone." Alexa said, stepping forward. Alistar sneered at her and she thought she saw Kaleth's eyes flicker up to her for a moment.

"I'll treat my familiar however I see fit. They are less than human. Why do they deserve any leniency. They are tools to be used as their master sees fit." he said, looking pointedly at Pitch. Kaleth cleared his throat and Alistar glared angrily down at him.

"What!?" he asked.

"Could I have one more chance to prove I can kill the cat?" he asked seriously. Alexa could see he was trying to find a way to avoid punishment. She frowned though. He had seriously just asked for another chance to kill Pitch. She glared at him for a moment before Alistar gave his reply.

"Fine." he said grinning maliciously at Pitch. Pitch leaned in close and before Alexa knew it they were across the yard. She could smell burnt hair and realized Pitch hadn't come out completely unscathed. She stared back across the yard at Kaleth, Alistar and Patrick. Pitch vanished to reappear further from her, bringing her out of Kaleth's line of fire. Kaleth fought slower this time. His jabs more calm and controlled. She knew he had a plan. Until he shot across the yard towards her she hadn't realized she was part of it. She yelped as he grabbed hold of her and pulled her close. Pitch wasn't long appearing and making an attack. Kaleth knew it was coming and fended Pitch off with a burst of flame. He smirked down at her.

"He is reckless when it comes to protecting you." he sneered. Pitch appeared again and this time he was too fast for Kaleth to shoot flames at him.Kaleth blocked with his forearm. Pitch vanished again and he lowered his bleeding arm to his side where blood dripped down to his wrist. He stared down at her for a moment.

"Why is he so loyal to you?" He asked. Alexa frowned remembering how loyal she had thought Kaleth was. She caught a glimpse of movement to her right and felt Pitch's hand trying to pull her free. Kaleth's hand shot out and wrapped around Pitch's thin wrist, dragging him closer. she felt the shadows draw close as Pitch tried to escape with her. Kaleth came with them and Pitch clawed at the hand o0n his arm. Kaleth let go of her to get a better grip on Pitch. He whirred Pitch around lightning fast and got a grip on either side of his head. Alexa remembered this stance. From months before in a dark alley. The creep then had deserved it but Pitch didn't. She dove forward to try to pull Kaleth's hands away, regardless of her own safety. She latched onto one of his arms and yanked as hard as she could. 

"Stop!" she shouted but Kaleth merely shrugged her off. She dove forward again, hoping to break the fight up before it turned deadly. She could feel her magic stirring just before she heard a crack like thunder. Kaleth collapsed, the same as the first time she had summoned him. Pitch extracted himself carefully before giving Alexa a grateful smile. She swatted at him.

"Don't be so reckless. He was this close to snapping your neck." she said, holding up her forefinger and thumbs to elaborate. Pitch grinned sheepishly before his gaze locked on a fuming Alistar. Alexa got the feeling he never expect Kaleth to be defeated. She looked between Alistar and Patrick. Taking out her uncle seemed a little easier now.